uts

Jan 8, 2004
My IT465 has a 14/46 sprocket ratio. I want to gear it down. The chain and rear sprocker are good but the front is ruined. CAn I drop the front to a 12 tooth successfully and run 12/46?

UTS

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Yes, but that would be a pretty big jump. You might be better off trying a 13 first. Also remember that if the front is that bad, it has been wearing down the chain, and the chain will be affecting the rear. It is always best to change all three at the same time.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Thaks Frudaddy,

I might try a 13 first. I know what you mean about changing all 3. But I figure the worst that could happen is I ruin the new front which is only worth $15 anyway.

Cheers
UTS

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
changing the front to a smaller gear changes the power curve. All of the power will be in the first little bit of the rpm range. It is best to change the rear. This will not change the power curve but push the power down a few hundred rpm.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
bruno670 said:
changing the front to a smaller gear changes the power curve. All of the power will be in the first little bit of the rpm range. It is best to change the rear. This will not change the power curve but push the power down a few hundred rpm.

I don't understand. I thought it was about the ratio of front to back and changing 1 front was equal to about 3.5 back. I've never heard this power curve stuff before. But then, that is why I ask.Anyone else care to comment.

UTS

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
if you think of a 13t front and a 52t rear there is a 4:1 ratio. changing one on the front is the same as 4 on the rear, but the spinning ratio of the mechanism is different. think of a 18 speed bicycle. only shift the front sprocket and don't change the rear. Shift from the larger sprocket to the smaller. you will have to spin the front much faster to go the same speed. this works the same way on your bike. You will be turning faster rpm to go the same speed, with twice the effort. but changing the rear the same ratio 4:1 isn't as much of an effort change. give it a try you will be amazed the difference.

Last edited:

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
seeing that the yzf has alot of torque you should just add 1 to the front and see what that does to your performance. changing both will probably give you an adverse effect. here is a sprocket ratio chart this should help everyone with questions. just remember the smaller the front sprocket the faster the motor will rev, which changes the power curve.

http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/sprocket.htm

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Bruno, I have read all of your posts on this thread, and I must say WOW. The fact that a smaller front sprocket is lighter is not in question, however, being that the front sprocket is connected to the transmission, it will not effect the torque curve, and although the reduced rotating mass will typically make an engine rev up quicker, any gains will immediately be removed as soon as you put a larger rear sprocket in place (it will increase the rotating mass on the rear wheel). This is where aluminum rear sprockets come into play, they are lighter and thus make it easier to turn the wheel, which is the ultimate goal here. Any effort to make the engine rev more or less quickly should be done by adjusting the weight of the flywheel. Changing to a thinner transmission would probably have a greater effect of the rate of acceleration. If I were to argue your case, I would either go with the tight radius that the chain has to redirect itself on, or I would note that each tooth on the gear will be contacted more frequently and thus wear out faster.
Sorry, I have to disagree with your logic unless you can show dyno charts that prove a significant difference in the torque curve based solely on which gear is changed while maintaining the same overall final ratio.

dermoss

Nov 7, 2006
I have a 96 CR250 that I recently purchased. Stock is 13 front and 49 rear. It has a 13 front and a 51 rear. I dont like the way I need to slip the clutch in 1st gear to get rolling. I wanted to change to a 48 rear. The parts dude told me I need to go up on the rear and that going down would give it more top end. Looking at the chart from the link above that can not be correct right?

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
going with a smaller rear WILL give more speed and slower take off speed. Adding to the rear sprocket will lower the ratio. (The larger the number on the chart the slower you will go and the more power it will feel that it has.)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom