gsimpson2g

Mar 18, 2007
Hello, my name is Geoff Simpson. I have recently gotten the urge to start riding on dirt after riding street for awhile now. I love the idea of sliding the backend around all of the time, or being able to pull wheelies without fear of loosing control of a heavy bike, or getting a ticket. I also would like the freedom of just being able to go out into some hills and just ride with no worries of traffic. I also plan on taking an Off-Road riding class in my area before I buy a dirt bike.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important): 21 years old, 6 foot tall, 155Lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you? I consider myself to be fairly aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? I plan on doing a good bit of woods and field riding, with some possible track riding in the future. Maybe do some jumping once I get more comfortable with riding off-road.
4) Do you have any riding experience? I have ridden on the street since I was 14
5) Do you think you will race ? Most likely not
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes, do all of the current work on my bike
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? No preference
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I have a dealer nearby that sells Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? Im looking for a used bike under $1500
10) Do you live in California? Nope
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion I was looking at the Kawasaki KX100. Not sure if it would be ok for my heigth though.

I appreciate everybodys help!

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
a KX100 is made for people around a foot smaller than you are, literally :laugh: . it'll be hard to find a bike that will fit you for under $1500, but 125 might do you well. it doesnt require a lot of maintenance and runs very well with the proper gas/oil ratio and when the jetting is set. look at used Yamaha YZ125's, the are more expensive than the others, but youll need the extra seat height at 6'0''.

gsimpson2g

Mar 18, 2007
Thanks :). I wasnt sure if the KX100 would be ok. I sit on one at the local dealer, and it did feel a tad bit small, but not too awful bad. I didnt realize how cheap I could get a used YZ125 though! Didnt even consider looking into one since the MSRP is over $5k. I will do a little more looking around at Hondas, Suzukis, and more Kaws. Any major differences between them when it comes to the 2-stroke 125s?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
There isnt that much of a difference between 125 2-strokes. Each has a different hights (Honda CR being the shortest). BUt not that much of a difference. And each one has there ups and downs. Basically... Find the newest/best condition used bike you can find.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
gsimpson2g said:
Thanks :). I wasnt sure if the KX100 would be ok. I sit on one at the local dealer, and it did feel a tad bit small, but not too awful bad. I didnt realize how cheap I could get a used YZ125 though! Didnt even consider looking into one since the MSRP is over $5k. I will do a little more looking around at Hondas, Suzukis, and more Kaws. Any major differences between them when it comes to the 2-stroke 125s?

i got my KX125( Kawasaki) for $1400 last year, but i got a good deal. the CR125's, until '05, had the worst power output. the Kawasaki has low-mid end power, the Suzuki has mid-range power, and the Yamaha, if i remember, has top-end. the Yamaha is by far the tallest 125, its actually the tallest stock dirt bike you can buy :yikes: . my dad is 6'0'', and he makes my 125 look like a toy, so because the YZ is a good bit taller, i would lean towards that.

Top Bottom