Got my 14 year old son a cr80 and he is having a blast now I want a bike!

CENPAPETE

Oct 30, 2006
Just acquired some mountain land and found that it has miles of connected dirt roads and logging trails to have fun on. I got my son a cr80 and he is having a blast. I'm jealous and want a bike of my own to join him. Any help with figuring out what bikes might be suitable would be much appreciated.
1) Physical size 6"4" 220lbs
2) New to riding but enjoy pushing things furhter as I learn.
3) Pennsylvania mountain roads and trails. I would like a bike that I can use on and off road.
4) Have ridden Bikes for a few years off and on.
5) I will not be racing
6) I enjoy fixing/working on things.
7) Do not have a preference of 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
8) Honda and yamaha dealers close by.
9) Looking for a used bike for under $2,000.00 What can I expect for that much?

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Under $2,000 You might get a nice used Honda XR250 or 400. Be great reliable bike to learn on and do well on dirt road rides.

Otherwise if you like to tinker you can get almost any used 2 stroke 250 for $ around $1500 and put some money into it to make it more trail/woods ready versus MX use.

Have fun :ride:

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I agree with bsmith
Also you may want to look at a kawasaki kdx200 or 220. Easy to ride very dependable.
You can find them 4 plus years old for around your price range maybe less. They will go further on a tank of gas than a 250.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Ok guy, I am your same weight and height. You will not be happy with the power of a xr 250 or xr 400, or a kdx. I have a kx250 and ride in the woods with my friends not race. A 250 2-stroke will be right up your alley. You can pick up a late model for around 2000.00 in good shape. Also a set of handle bars that have a hi rise will be a good mod for your bike since you are tall like me. Two strokes are easy to work on and tons of parts available as well. Just my .02.

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
CENPAPETE said:
Just acquired some mountain land and found that it has miles of connected dirt roads and logging trails to have fun on. I got my son a cr80 and he is having a blast. I'm jealous and want a bike of my own to join him. Any help with figuring out what bikes might be suitable would be much appreciated.
1) Physical size 6"4" 220lbs
2) New to riding but enjoy pushing things furhter as I learn.
3) Pennsylvania mountain roads and trails. I would like a bike that I can use on and off road.
4) Have ridden Bikes for a few years off and on.
5) I will not be racing
6) I enjoy fixing/working on things.
7) Do not have a preference of 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
8) Honda and yamaha dealers close by.
9) Looking for a used bike for under $2,000.00 What can I expect for that much?

Holy crap your close, where at???

Im in Mechanicsburg.

Anyway i am pretty much the same size and weight and i ride a 2001 YZ 250 and love it. The guys at Yamaha of Camp Hill hook me up to since i know the owner.

You can get a good YZ years 96-01 for $1000-2000

Top Bottom