Got my shop manual today, question

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
I ordered a shop manual for my 81 kx from repair manual dot kom
it is the factory owners manual and service manual part #99920-1123-01- $30 including ship

It appears to be a Xerox copy, even the cover is the same type thin paper as the contents. The photos are kind of dark, some details are not visible. Is this just how these things were back then or have I been ripped? I would prefer a more detailed manual that has a section for each part of the bike, this manual has how to tear down the engine but doesnt really have enough detail /photos on the clutch for instance.

What manual should I be looking for and where?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
That sounds suspicious. Does it have a cover that wraps around to the back, or is it a stack of stapled pages? The cover and pages should be one piece and the staple ends going to the inside, like a usual magazine.

Can you post a picture of it or a link to a picture?

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
Go to repair manuals dot kom (how in the hell do you post a link in this forum, couldnt find in the faq) 81 KDX 175 manual part # U99920-1122-01 and manual # R99920-1167-

Please help me figure out the difference between these two manuals. I want the most detailed one.

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
Bark3rd said:
Go to repair manuals dot kom (how in the hell do you post a link in this forum, couldnt find in the faq) 81 KDX 175 manual part # U99920-1122-01 and manual # R99920-1167-

Please help me figure out the difference between these two manuals. I want the most detailed one.

From reading the contents, the R99920 looks like the "Owners Manual" you get with a new bike. It's listed table of contents is laid out in the exact same order as my manual on my 04. Also the picture shown for this item is of an Owners Manual.
The U99920 sounds like the actual Factory Shop Manual that your wanting.
The link to the Repair Manual site page your refering to.. http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/1981/34/0/4651

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
Thanks. I emailed the owner and he assured me this is an actual original used manual. I swear it looks like someone made it at Kinkos on copy paper. Has anyone seen an older manual like this? I had bikes in the 80s and the covers of the owners manuals were never made out of the same paper as the contents. At least its legible.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
1987 and older are a combined manual. 1988 and newer are two separate owner manual and service manual.

In your case, the manual should state "Motorcycle Owner's Manual & Service Manual" on the front cover. I have never seen a white cover KDX175 manual, but I have seen a few REAL late 70's, REAL early 80's white cover KX or KDX manuals.

The Kawasaki part number for the Owner / Service manual is 99920-1122-01. It is 61 pages, including the Memo pages in the back. It should have two staples holding it together.

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
I just got a manual form the same people for my 81 KDX, and it is what one would expect, the cover is a heavier paper than the rest of the book. I think for sure these guys xeroxed the KX manual (even went so far to use a color copier for the green cover). As you cant pick up a shop manual for an 81 KX at Wal Mart, guess Ill just keep it. The photo quality in the original KDX manual is much better though. Who cares anyway, I took i tto my mechanic and will pick up a perfectly running bike next week! Endless hours in the garage are way overrated.

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
I guess, why do you want a picture of it? Theres a picture of it on their website. Instead, I will post a picture of me wearing a pink thong and stilletto heels.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Well, I have one of the white covered manuals, so I thought I could comment on it being a copy or not.

No need to post a picture of yourself in your normal riding gear / go out clubbing outfit.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Bark3rd said:
I
It appears to be a Xerox copy, even the cover is the same type thin paper as the contents. The photos are kind of dark, some details are not visible.
As you may, or may not, have figured out by now, you do not have a genuine Kawasaki service manual; you have a copy.
All the Kawasaki service manuals have heavy paper, glossy-finish covers.

It still has the information you need, so you didn't get ripped off....unless, of course, some of those incomprehensible details are precisely the details you need. :(

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
All the service manuals don't actually have a glossy cover. Some around 1980 did come with a white cover. There is a glossy, green cover version and the white version, for some reason.

podfish

May 14, 2007
one of the best sources for information is Kawasaki itself. If you go to their site and lookup your bike's parts, you'll see that you can get the same screens that the shops use - lots of nice exploded diagrams. It's a great supplement to the shop manuals, especially if your manual has illegible pictures!

Top Bottom