q2418130103p

Mar 31, 2007
hello all,
if youve read any of my previous posts then you know i am currently rebuilding my top end, but i decided i should check over all teh systems and i have notced that my gear lube is milky and gray which i assume is coolant in the gear lube?

what oring, gasket, or what ever would have to be replaced to fix this?

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
I've never seen 2 stroke oil any other color, in any of my bikes. Well, once I forgot I had just changed it and changed it again...that time it looked like oil. :)

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Its supposed to look grey and milky due to normal wear and tear of the aluminum clutch plates...

mbaird

May 25, 2006
the same thing happened to an ATK 406 I used to own.
that's an air cooled motor . I would change the oil constantly.
It would look milky and my clutch did not want to release on initial startup. I assumed that the milky oil was due to
creek crossings .

mbaird

May 25, 2006
as far as my ATK, I hope you don't think I am saying that it
is normal, I'm sure there was something wrong. I just don't
know what it was.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
Check to see if the coolant looks ok, is it sepperated or anything? If I were you I would get that seal fixed, it could cause problems.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Get what seal fixed? There is nothing wrong with any seals. If the oil is gray, that means there is metal in it, this is normal. Oil contaminated water will be brown or tan colored, more like chocolate milk.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
As far as I know (and I'm not a pro) but I have had and seen several bikes that had white oil because of a coolant leak. As you said, some metel in the oil will make it a bit white but it would take LOTS of metel to make ALL the oil white. There usualy is a little bit of white oily sediments at the inside base of the engine, but that is not a coolant leak. I wasn't saying the coolant would be white, I was asking if it looked like it had a bit of oil in it. I also should have asked him to look for discoloration. The seal I mentioned was the pump shaft seal, though it could be leaking from several points that is the most likely thing to check. I'm pretty sure there is something rong with the seals, that is unless he hasn't changed the oil for a while.

Please correct me if I'm rong.
Jordan

q2418130103p

Mar 31, 2007
who are you guys talking about now, me or 76GMC1500?

My coolant is (was till i drained it) a beautiful bright green, my oil is gray.

Ill see if I can snap a pic of it.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
I was talking to 76GMC1500. But ya that sounds like the coolant is fine, have you noticed the coolant to be getting lower at all, even just a little? When was the last time you changed the oil? Did you warm up the engine before draining it. If you could snap me a pic of the oil. If you can't, does the oil look slightly white or a greyish white color? Because a slight white tone is ok but not a thick white substance.

Top Bottom