gsheff989

Nov 18, 2001
I am trying to work on gripping the bike with my legs. It seems that when I stand up and grip the bike I am squeezing the number plates and they are slippery. If I pinch my knees in I can grip the seat with the inside of my knees. Is this how most of you grip the bike with your legs while standing? I can really hold on, but it feels awkward.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
it seems like if you are gripping the number plates, you are too far back on the bike. I don't conciously know where I am gripping when I am riding, but I can tell cause the graphics around my airbox, tank and shrouds are worn...also the seat and frame guards.

jrhkx250

Nov 17, 2005
i grip it right at the front to middle of the seat. I wear EVS braces and that made it very weird at first. It took me some time to get the "feel" for it.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I grip with my boots at the frame guards, because if Im standing up toataly straight I cant grip with my knees because Im too tall. Atlease not with out leaning forward, at a awaward and hard to hold angle.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Atlease not with out leaning forward, at a awaward and hard to hold angle
That's called the attack position, better try to get used to it. The bottom half of your legs (up to the knee, should come straight up from the pegs.. that's the lowest point of weight and the center or piviot point of the bike. Your head should normally be over your bars (while braking hard, move your body back). How much or little you need to bend at the knees is determined by this. You should just be able to see the front number plate, carrying all the weight on your legs, very little if any with your arms. You need to stay as low on the bike as you can, kinda tough the taller you are. For an example, watch Pastrana ride, his upper body is bent at nealy 90 degrees. Shorter riders don't have to bend nearly as much.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Lol, I didnt know that. Well, I have tryed to ride like that, but there was so much weight on my arms it got hard to hold. How tall is Pastrana, anyway?

Thanks.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Okiewan said:
That's called the attack position, better try to get used to it. The bottom half of your legs (up to the knee, should come straight up from the pegs.. that's the lowest point of weight and the center or piviot point of the bike. Your head should normally be over your bars (while braking hard, move your body back). How much or little you need to bend at the knees is determined by this. You should just be able to see the front number plate, carrying all the weight on your legs, very little if any with your arms. You need to stay as low on the bike as you can, kinda tough the taller you are. For an example, watch Pastrana ride, his upper body is bent at nealy 90 degrees. Shorter riders don't have to bend nearly as much.

It's pretty difficult for myself, with boots on I'm at least 6'4.

I've found that my knee guards make it a little easier for me to grip the seat with my knees.

It really takes a conscience effort. I plan on picking up some low-boy foot pegs to help out a little with my height, and I'll see how much that helps me out.

My problem is I have very long legs. I've found if I kinda of push outward on the footpegs with my feet, I can grip decently.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Okiewan said:
Lowboy pegs and a taller seat will help a lot. They will also make the transition from sitting to standing, shorter. So.. taller seat, lowboy pegs aand tall bars (I like Windham bend, tall and not much sweep).. all helpful for tall riders.

Pastrana is 6-4.

Thanks Okie. Now if you'll just trade me bikes, you'll be my hero forever.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
I have come up with a great method. I have trained my butt cheeks to grip the seat. Oh yeah, I am really popular at parties. It works for me though. All of that standing up is just silly. I keep the center of gravity nice and low.

Of course, I finished about 14th in the C Class at DW03. So you might not wanna listen to me.

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
Here's a good way to find the proper attack position courtesy of Jeff Emig. Put the bike on a center stand. Hop on stand how how you ride. Now let go of the bars. You should be able to lean way forward (kiss the bars), and way back (almost touch helmet on back fender). If you can't do this you aren't in the correct position. Reposition your body until you can. Your knee and shin should be almost perpendicular to your footpeg. When you think yu have this mastered go get a newer KTM and start teaching yourself all over again, they are to thin.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
You shouldn't feel like you are supporting your weight with your hands. You should move forward as you accelerate and the forward position will be offset by the acceleration, resulting in very little weight on your hands. As you transition from accelerating to braking (there is no coasting!), you should move you body back until you are as far back as possible while braking as hard as possible.

There is not simply a single position for riding, but rather a fluid movement done in anticipation of what the bike will be doing.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom