NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Friend of mine took me out to a cinder pit where he'd gotten permission to ride. Big ol' pit full of malpais cinders with 1 big wall and several small hills. I spent the day TRYING to conquer that wall and failed! I'd hit it going wide open in 3rd gear and instantly lose 1/2 my momentum in the loose cinders at the base. I made it 3/4 up and that was IT! And that only with a perfect run. I haven't done this loose stuff in a long time and of course I stalled the bike 3-4 times and crashed out. On one, I highsided and went face first into the cinders filling my helmet, my elbow pads and some of my boots!. The cinders are surprisingly soft and it really was good crashing practice- just like when I used to purposely over-nose-wheelie my mountain bike to practice leaving the clipless pedals. Eventually, I got the hang of it and then I had fun trying to ride across the face of the wall- that was tough!

Coming off the big wall, I'd zoom across the opposite side and try to jump the tabletop of the pit side. Same thing- I'd lose 1/2 my speed at the base and have zero traction when leaving the jump face. I never quite made the tabletop, but it was fun trying! Another line was to ride across the pit in 3rd over some shallow rollers, and then up and out the side. This took some timing to get the front wheel off the next roller and not lose momentum but the reward was an excellent catapult at the top of the pit with a soft downhill landing. Do it right and I'd sail. Do it wrong and I barely got air!

My friend is an ATV guy and we played follow-the-leader. He had a big advantage in the cinders of course, but I kept up pretty good and when it was my turn to lead I easily blew him off by going down steep hills and immediately up another one. The ATV couldn't handle that.

I ran the old girl hard today- lots of full throttle screaming. I have it running a little rich so no worries, mate. I'll change the gear oil and check stuff but she ran great. Me, I don't know about- I'm 43 and picking that bike up on the side of a cinder hill pooped me OUT! :)

Betchya I could clear that wall with a KX250..... :ride:
And it WILL be a good comparision when my desert pipe comes in next week!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom