timberguy

May 10, 2006
I'm planning on getting a dual-sport bike - it will be my only one, and I will also only be able to get one helmet.

In looking a dirt bike helmets, I notice that they have the bigger chin area, (vented), and visors. Some have a foam piece in the vent. And instead of a face shield, the ones I've seen are made for goggles.

Since I've have to use this for both the road and off-road, what type would be the best compromise? Other than on the street, my riding will be mainly on forest roads,etc. -- nothing real aggressive. And probably 80% or more of the time I'll be on pavement.

I'm guessing that part of the reason for no face shield is to avoid fogging, but is there any other reason?

I can accept with a little less face protection, but are there any other factors that would make a dirt bike helmet unsuitable for the street?

My riding experience is at the low end, a few thousand miles and one long trip. Any advise on this & other gear would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

06yz

May 2, 2006
If 80% of your riding will be on the road you will want a helmet that is built for the street. Motocross helmet w/ goggles restrict your peripheral view alot. When your on the street w/ 10,000lb vehicals you want all the view you can get. If you need to experience this for yourself go to your local dirt dealer and put on an MX helmet and goggles.
Good Luck

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
My recommendation would be to go ahead with the off road helmet, but look for DOT approval (most of them have it) and Snell would be nice. In CA, the full face street helmets might get a little hot, I don't like mine much in the summer and usually wear the skid lid that only keeps the cops away. The statement that goggles limit your peripheral vision is inaccurate IMO, but does have validity with some goggles, this is why my 9yo wears adult sized goggles instead of the youth sizes. For street use you can go to a bicycle shop and get 2 pair of glasses, 1 tinted, and 1 with clear lenses. It seems to me that the bicyclist glasses fit tightly enough to keep most of the wind out, and protects against bugs and some dust.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Industrial type safety glasses can also be good choices for use with a moto helmet.
$10 will net you a nice pair.

fizzle

~SPONSOR~
Apr 21, 2006
Check out the Arai XD helmet.

It is a MX design helmet with a face shield like a street bike. Best of both worlds maybe? The one thing I would be cautious about is the roost visor of any MX style helmet acting like a sail and blowing your head around at street speeds. Depends on how fast you want to go I guess.

Top Bottom