CENPAPETE

Oct 30, 2006
Any suggestions or advice?

I have a 1981 CR80 that I had acquired for my son.
When we got it it had no spark and found that the Stator was bad. After months of searching (****, Bike Graveyards and other websites)with no luck for a stator I tried taking the stator from a 1985 CR80 assemble and replacing the stator only by soldering it on to the 1981 Stator assemble. It got us a spark and the bike was running great after rebuilding the carberator.
My son was having a blast riding around in the yard and finally got a chance to take it out somewhere else and let her rip. He was riding it in 4th gear and it suddenly stopped. It lost its spark again!
We checked the plug and replaced it even though it looks fine.
I am afraid after researching this that the stator repair may have damaged the CDI Igniter or something. Any suggestions where I should go from here? The 1981 CR80 stator assemble is discontinued and I cannot find one anywhere. Any one know where I might get one or have mine rebuilt? I have the original but it had gotten torn up when a bolt backed out inside behind the rotor.
The bike runs great and is in great shape otherwise.
Any info would be much appreciated

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
try dirt cycle salvage-1-508-478-5700- if cdi is bad
dennis kirk has them listed- cr80- 80/81 staters-part number-20-1730-and are
$ 59.95 new!!! 1-800-969-7601 :cool:
you could have had a local electric shop re wire it /auto starter repair shop-
i would get it from dennis kirk
happy riding :nod:

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
If the newer stator that you installed isn't bad, you could try mating it up with the newer CDI box from the bike the stator coil came out of. That sounded confusing huh! I guess what I am saying is, if you can't find the correct components for your bike, try using the complete system from a newer bike and install the stator coil on your stator plate as you have already done. Might be worth a try.
BTW I have been down this road too, my son's first bike was a 1983 CR60, and everything seemed to be obsoleted.

CENPAPETE

Oct 30, 2006
Thanks guys for the responses. I contacted denniskirk.com and they have new stators available but they state that the one they sell works for 1980 thru 2002 CR80R's.
So I guess the used stator that I soldered on from a 1985 CR80 should be okay to use. I have located a used cgi box and coil to try replacing them one at a time to see which if either is bad. I did check to see if I got any voltage coming out of the stator assemble when I kicked the kick starter and I did get a reading. :bang:
Could it just be coincedence that the CGI box went bad after I replaced the stator? I'd hate to change out the CGI box and burn another one out. Even used ones are not cheap (if you can find one). Don't really know what else to do at this point though. I'll have the used parts in a few days and will try it and see what happens i guess.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
i have heard different stories about them needing to be changed as a unit- but i dont think thats true-there all electrical devices,that work together mass produced,
mabe it shorted out
use a test light to see if theres power from the stater, then hook up the cdi box and check power from there ,then the coil
its called a
CDI- not cgi-- lol
capasiter discharge ignition :cool:

CENPAPETE

Oct 30, 2006
Looks like I have power from the stator but nothing coming out of the CDI box once connected. I should have the replacement used CDI Monday. I'll see if thats the problem then.
Thanks

CENPAPETE

Oct 30, 2006
Okay I finally got a chance to get back and test things on this bike. I have voltage coming from the stator assemble on up through the CDI box.
When I checked the stator voltage it seems to be around 1.4 volts coming out. Is this to much?
I checked the voltage from the lead on the CDI box that connects to the ignition coil and I get 1.3 to 1.8 volts there. Does this sound right?
When I connect the lead to the ignition coil I get nothing. I tried another used coil that I had purchased and it doesn't produce a spark either.
What can I do to find out if the ignition coil is bad or if 1.3 t0 1.8 volts going into it is correct. My manual doesn't seem to mention voltage it just mentions about measuring resistance and I have not had any luck getting consisitent resisitance readings.
Any help/suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
was the coil grounded? there is power from the cdi ,then i think its the coil,
is the kill switch bad ? try disconnecting it
the coil magnifies the power from the cdi box
i dont know the voltage output sorry

CENPAPETE

Oct 30, 2006
Jason,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have disconnected the kill switch.
Tried a new plug and the coil is bolted to the frame so I assume that means its grounded. I unbolted it and made sure that it was clean metal to metal contact.
The lead going from the CDI to the coil has voltage when checked disconected from the coil. If I connect it to the coil and try and check voltage at the connection I get nothing no voltage. I'm thinking it must be the coil also it just seems strange that the coil on the bike plus the used one I just acquired both do not work. I didn't know if someone might know how to check or have the coil checked to make sure it is bad before I go through the expense of purchasing a new one.
If I brought the coil to the Honda dealer would they be able to test it?

Thanks for the help.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
they should be able to check it - but they might say its bad anyway - depends on the people-lol
the coils sometimes have a wire that needs to be grounded as well as the coil is there one near it?
also dennis kirk has a universal coil for cr's xr's and trx's for only 9.99-
instead of 63.00 for oem -if you need one :cool:
and there is a ground wire on the coil for those so there should be one on yours,check that wire

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
centapete-
there is a couple 80 bottom ends ,and other parts on e#ay right now- if you need some spare parts-one is complete with the stater and magneto- :cool:
you might want to check it out for the spare stuff- pretty cheep :nod:

"no people im not selling them "- just helping out a fellow rider :cool:

Top Bottom