Cutlass72

Jun 12, 2004
Hi, got a 1974 honda Mt125 from my uncle. the ran good for about a week until the clutch cabe broke. After we replaced that it ran really bad. I took off the gas tank and carb to clean them out and it has ran really bad ever since. It gets spark and gas but me and me dad still cant figure what the hell is wrong. It just kind of sputters and runs really sluggish and bad. there is a possablity the there is water thin the gas but i belive most of it was burned out. it often back fires and i just dont no what else to do...I wanna push it off a cliff... Has anyone had this problem before and if so TELL ME WHAT IM DOING WRONG! Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated. Thanks!

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I think when you cleaned the tank you knocked a bunch of crap loose which got sucked into the newly cleaned carb and now it runs bad.

Clean the carb again and put a filter between the tank and carb.
Assuming the carb was reassembled correctly ? :bang:

Last edited:

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
lol, I used to have one of those bikes.... the venerable MT125...*sigh*.... I always thought that it was pretty funny that MT is what we wrote on our welding tanks when they were empty (MT... get it?).... Empty125... anyways...

If you think you may have water in your gas, that is a good place to start... MT your tank (lol) and put freshy gas in.... gas floats on water, so it may not have been untill you put it on reserve that it started acting up (reserve takes from lower in the tank)... If that don't clear it up, it's time to clean the carb.... (the filter is a good idea for an old bike with a metal tank)

elf

Jun 7, 2003
There was a guy a while back who had the same problem with a empty 175 oops I mean MT 175. His problem turned out to be water in the gas. If you can take the carb off without draining it and carefully take off the float bowl you should be able to see if theres water in the bowl. Also try a new plug?

Top Bottom