Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
I recently bought a 2002 KDX 200. I Love it.

Anyway, my brother is looking to buy a motocross bike. He is 14, about 5'6, and pretty light, about 110 pounds. He really wants to start riding with me and his and my buddies. He really insists on getting a motocross bike. Which I figure I could also ride too :)

He used to ride my old XR 100 which I sold, and did pretty good on that, so he isnt completely new to this kinda thing. He and I rode a neighbors brand new 2003 Suzuki RM 85. It was pretty nice. He is considering getting either that or the Kawasaki KX 85..

Its between the Suzuki and the Kawasaki 85s.. I am telling him to go with the Suzuki RM 85L instead of the RM85 since he can grow into it and I can also fit on it better, but he has the idea that if he wants to buy a graphics kit, pipe, etc.. these things will not be compatible with the 85L, when marked for the 85. This isnt correct, is it?

Also, why is it that the Suzuki is marked at a little more money? I did notice that when riding it, the fenders seemed to be a little stronger and seemed more durable, things were nicer (kill switch, etc..) things like that were all of a higher quality. Is that why the Suzuki bikes are a little more money?

Just looking for opinions that would help me decide between the RM and the KX. Any input would be appriciated. Thank you!

(note: he doesent want a CR because he knows a friend who has it, and has had TONS and i mean tons of problems with it, and he.. lol.. doesent like the blue on the yamahas)

thanks guys!

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
At 5'6" he might want to look into the new rm100 and kx100. The bikes will be taller and have more room for him but not be too big like a 125.

I don't see any reason why the pipes, graphics or anything else wouldn't fit the RM85L. THe only difference is the bigger diameter wheels. Everything else is the same.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Yeah, I told him to consider that too..

I know the RM is 250$ more than the KX 100, is it really a big difference? Getting a 100 is going to stretch the budget a bit.. Anyone have any personal experience with any MX 100s? Just looking for help to try to decide between the Suzuki and the Kawasaki.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
But why is the Suzuki more money?

Just wondering about that one :)

I think hes gonna go with the KX 100 or the KX 85. We are heading down to the Kawasaki dealer tomorow, to see how he fits on them. Thanks for the input.

Anyone else.. Comments? Concerns? Death Wishes?

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
i always thought it was the other way around, kawi was more money...
there isnt any big changes in the KX and RM, they are working together on their bikes so the engines and handling will be exacly the same, save the 250$ and get a nice PC pipe or somthing, i never did like yellow anyways :P

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Yeah, I say go with the KX 100. I know it performs well because I've seen some kids RIP IT UP on them. They can ride MX in the 125 class and get top 5! ...of course the rider plays a big part in this, but they're definitely nice bikes!

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
The only thing I can think of is that Suzuki is a more popular brand than Kawasaki. On race day around here, Yamahas practice with Kawasaki's and Honda and Suzuki's go out together. The red and yellow are split 50/50 while the blue/green split is 90/10...almost all blue.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
suzuki also has a really good contingency program. if he races, suzuki will back him with cash, etc. also if he keep good grades in school. they will have trackside support at the races. it's a really great program to help racers.

read all about it here:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_03/motox/fs_rm250.htm
u have to scroll down to the bottom past the cash prizes.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
srry, i messed up the link, just scroll down a bit and click on the thing that says....nm, click this:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/racing/cont_mx.htm

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Oh no way in hell he is racing. Out mother would ring his neck if he were to race after she sees what we watch on ESPN2 ;)

Anyway, around here, basically everyone is upgrading their XRs to either CRs, KXs, YZs, and RM's, all 80s and 85s, basically an even amount.. I think Im going to try and deffinetly persuade him to get the KX100 so he (and I) could have a bigger bike to grow into, and smoke the other guys.

Just wondering if anyone else has any opinions on the KX100. Its actually the same size as the RM85L would be, and around the same price, so it seems like a better option for the bigger engine displacement.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Serious racers choose the RM85L over the 100 simply due to some limitations with the 100 cylinder design for hopup potential. Either bike is a good bike although at 5'6" he is getting very close to outgrowing those bikes already.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Well, I estimate a 5'6 height. He isnt an experienced rider, so he isnt going to get on this thing and rip it up right away, and he certainly doesent plan to race.

However, we seem to be leaning towards the Suzuki for its kickstand, and because thats the one he rode, he wants..

But please extend on why serious racers would chosse an 85L over a 100..

I sat on the regular 85 and thought it was a nice size, but I would be happier with an inch bigger. The 100 and the 85L are basically the same size. It looked like he was doing fine on the 85 too..

But I am just wondering, besides the engine displacment, what advantages does the 100 have over the 85L or vise versa? Personally, IMO there are minor reasons why I would go with the 85L (looks cool, kickstand)

And not to mention, they guy with the RM85 got it for 2500$ brand new..

so its that against the KX100 and im really wondering how much the KX100 has an advantage over the RM85L..

Thanks, you guys are great :)

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
I too would really appriciate it if you could evaluate on that opinion Chili.

I actually always wondered about the KX and RM 100s since they seem like nice bikes, and I actually saw a few down at the tracks, and one of the kids was really tearing it up on the KX100.

mxer1345

Aug 15, 2002
the reason why more people get the 85's instead of the 100's are because some tracks wont let you race your 100 in the 85 class, they either have a 100 or sometimes called bigwheel class or you have to race in the 125 class. also at big events like world mini's, loretta's, etc. you have less classes to choose from, you couldn't race the 100 in the 85 class cause the displacement is to big so that would leave them to race the supermini, which is sometimes a harder class because you can bore your bike out to i think it's 112cc's or 105cc's, forgot but it's alot faster class.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by Chili
at 5'6" he is getting very close to outgrowing those bikes already.

well, he was tippy toe on the 85 and the 85L and 100 are both over an inch bigger..

just another question. first off he wont be racing, but even if he eventtually does, that is another reason to go with the 85.

just a few questions. I dont understand when people say bore out there engines bigger. how exactly do they do that? is it tough? where can you find this kinda info? beacuse a service menu would be purchased with the bike..

and how much do you possibly think that the 100 will be all that better than the 85L? Slightly more powerful and slightly better suspension? anything else.

thanks for the info :)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by mxer1345
the reason why more people get the 85's instead of the 100's are because some tracks wont let you race your 100 in the 85 class

That is one of the reasons but what I was getting at was that there is more hop up potential in the RM85L. There is some sort of limitation with the KX100 cylinder design. I tried to find the thread that went into detail on it but couldn't locate it. Bottom line the KX100 is a good solid bike but for most looking for a bike to race in the Supermini class they seem to choose an RM85L or CR85 Expert and get a 105cc big bore kit. The KX100 that my son races against regularly appears to have no real power advantage on the new 85's it runs against. The KX/RM100 has a weaker/softer suspension than the RM85L. Check this thread for a similar discussion

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79249&highlight=kx100

Top Bottom