Excursion

Nov 30, 2006
Hey all,

New to the forum and just wantd to say Hello to all and I hope I get to know most of you.

I am getting my son his first moto bike for x-mas this year. He is 5 and has been talking about it for the past 2 years.

I myself have never been a rider but have always loved the sport and the competition behind it.

I am am looking for any advice on ways to go about teaching him to ride, the steps to take, gear to buy. Basically I am very new to this and dont want to scare him to where he dont want to ride anymore because I believe he will love it.

The bike I am getting is a 49CC/ Single-Cylinder/Cooled/2-Stroke, the little bity fella.

I have priced some gear and the cheapest I have found was $282 from ridegear website. This includes the Goggles, jersey, pants, gloves, chest protector, helmet and Boots.

Is this a fair price? To me I dont think he needs all that just starting out but my wife..(you know how moms are). Says he needs it all.

Any suggestions on where and what I should buy a first time rider, age 5.

Thanks all, Hope to talk to you soon.

Last edited:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Check out used gear on the "for sale" forum here and other sites. The little guys grow out of gear pretty quick. There are alos a lot of cases where the parents try to get junior into riding but junior is not interested so practically new gear goes up for sale.

Don't let him ride until he is well protected (helmet, MX boots, chest protector, gloves goggles)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Excursion said:
Hey all,

New to the forum and just wantd to say Hello to all and I hope I get to know most of you.

I am getting my son his first moto bike for x-mas this year. He is 5 and has been talking about it for the past 2 years.

I myself have never been a rider but have always loved the sport and the competition behind it.

I am am looking for any advice on ways to go about teaching him to ride, the steps to take, gear to buy. Basically I am very new to this and dont want to scare him to where he dont want to ride anymore because I believe he will love it.

The bike I am getting is a 49CC/ Single-Cylinder/Cooled/2-Stroke, the little bity fella.

I have priced some gear and the cheapest I have found was $282 from ridegear website. This includes the Goggles, jersey, pants, gloves, chest protector, helmet and Boots.

Is this a fair price? To me I dont think he needs all that just starting out but my wife..(you know how moms are). Says he needs it all.

Any suggestions on where and what I should buy a first time rider, age 5.

Thanks all, Hope to talk to you soon.

Listen to mom, she's right. But until he figures out how to keep it upright most of the time, don't let her watch!

He is going to crash alot, it's a given. Just make sure he is riding on soft ground. It'll make it better for both of you.

If he's into it, you may be very suprised how quickly he catches on. It never ceases to amaze me how fast the little guys get up to speed.

Excursion

Nov 30, 2006
I appreciate the suggestion Kelvin. I am not going to push him into riding, I think he will have fun just riding around the land here, we have about 10 acres to ride and about 100 wooded trails. so we are going to let him ride the pastures then adventure up in the woods...not alone of course.. So theres no pressure to ride competetivly, just for fun.

I will be looking at the used items section.

Excursion

Nov 30, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
Listen to mom, she's right. But until he figures out how to keep it upright most of the time, don't let her watch!

O she will probably have a nervouse breakdown the first spill he has.

IndyYZ85 said:
He is going to crash alot, it's a given. Just make sure he is riding on soft ground. It'll make it better for both of you.

Yea, as stated above we have about 10 acres of soft pasture to practice in.

IndyYZ85 said:
If he's into it, you may be very suprised how quickly he catches on. It never ceases to amaze me how fast the little guys get up to speed.

He's into the games and watching it on TV, we got him a powerwheel atv last yr. and he rode it non stop for the first 6 months..the little (4 yr old at the time) even tried some stunts..lol.. Thank goodness it was only a 12v battery. I will have to watch him on this.

He can ride a bicycle like crazy, I have heard its the same. any truth to that? My guess is its gonna be confusing using the throttle and brake when he first starts out.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Excursion said:
O she will probably have a nervouse breakdown the first spill he has.

Yea, as stated above we have about 10 acres of soft pasture to practice in.

He's into the games and watching it on TV, we got him a powerwheel atv last yr. and he rode it non stop for the first 6 months..the little (4 yr old at the time) even tried some stunts..lol.. Thank goodness it was only a 12v battery. I will have to watch him on this.

He can ride a bicycle like crazy, I have heard its the same. any truth to that? My guess is its gonna be confusing using the throttle and brake when he first starts out.

I watched a 4 year old girl get on a pw50 this year for her first time. It was amazing, she had no problem figuring out how to ride. Granted it didn't have a clutch.. But it was her first time on anything with an engine.

It'll take him a little bit to get used to how the brakes and throttle work, but you'll be suprised.

My nephew was 9 when he got his first bike, I think it took him about 10 minutes to get it.

He's getting his first "real" bike for christmas.

BBking25

Nov 28, 2006
i'd say get the gear...definatley the boots though gloves (helmets obvious) and then maybe like a shoulder/chest guard...but pleasing the mrs. is probably a good thing to do by getting all the pads to securely protect him...

well when i first road on a 50cc...i was at my grandpas farm, many many acres (in memphis TN i might add!) and i had nothing but a helmet and they just had us ride back and forth, told us where to go and corner and it was soo much fun...actually i can see the picture right now! its still in my room

but when i got my 125 in 7th grade what my dad did a couple months before is he had me take a training course at Hondas Southeast headquarters to learn some more difficult things (after going riding maybe 3 times previously)...

give him distance though if your riding behind him and don't push him to go to hard at first is all i can say, but i'm sure you knew that as a father

when i got my bike, first weekend i road okay, slow and steady and had fun and got better...second time, did a wheelie (on accident) flew over the handle bars with no equipment but helmet/goggles and gloves and i ripped my leg open (on the footpegs, 12 staples)...so i always suggest boots especially

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Howdy from the DFW Metromess and welcome to the site :cool:

Have you completely filled out your info in your CP? Be sure and do so. I usually say find a place on the couch, but I see you have hooked up with some great guys!

Again, welcome to DRN. We hope you enjoy your stay here and come back often!

Top Bottom