robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Hi guys:

I had previously been using an M2R SXPRO and a "cheap" low end Bell helmet. Both were DOT and the M2R was SNELL approved.

I had previously been of the opinion that if a helmet was approved (especially SNELL approved) that it protected you just as well - regardless of whether its retail price was $50 or $400.

I'm alway looking for a deal. I recently found the M2R Rev X-3 (retail $400) for $80.00. I purchased the "Ando" version of the helmet.

WOW!! The difference in build quality/paint/inner liner is amazing. It definintely feels safer, although I do hope I'll never have to fully test the Rev X-3's protection.

I'll not be using "cheap" helmets anymore (although I will not pay $400, either. LOL).

Track test tomorrow. . .

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rob - Try on an Arai sometime and it will be tough to ever go back. ;)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
We've run the gamut of helmets for my son over the years and we really liked the M2R's. He's currently wearing a SixSixOne helmet and has been happy with it to date. The worst money we ever spent on a helmet was a Bell Moto 8 McGrath Replica, paid full jack for it and it was a piece of crap with pieces falling apart each ride.

I'd really like to get him into an Arai or Shoei with the Arai being the likely candidate since he doesn't care for the looks of the V-Moto. So far price and the ability to try one on anywhere around us has kept us from giving it serious consideration.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I've had the high end M2R for a few years now. Fits well, is lasting well, light weight. My only complaint (same with most helmets) is their lame excuse for "venting." Although mine is a model from a few years ago... only vents are at chin area.
Sweat-Hog

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I have noticed that people tend to have either an Arai shaped head or a Shoei shaped head.

Of the premium, Snell approved helmets, I will only wear an Arai, whether it is a road or dirt helmet. My wife, however, prefers the fit of Shoei helmets over Arai.

I am anxious to get a new VX Pro-3, with its larger eye-port and additional 'nose space.'

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
SpDyKen said:
I am anxious to get a new VX Pro-3, with its larger eye-port and additional 'nose space.'

Ken - Check out the Arai XD helmets if you get a chance. I'm wearing an XD on the street, and the extra viewing area is great. When I replace my dirt helmet at the end of the year I think another XD might find a place on my shelf.

Last edited:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I've been looking at those, Rich. Trying to justify a third Arai has kept me from getting serious about one.

I guess that will change, now. :nod: ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I have had several Arai helmets and recommend them highly.

Excellent fit and quality. Even tested one on pavement from about 10 feet in the air. :whoa: :yikes:

If you figure your head is only worth a $100 then buy a $100 helmet.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
My wife frowns at the idea of a $550 helmet. "Buy a $150 helmet, your life insurance exceeds that by far!" :think: ... :whoa:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
I've had the high end M2R for a few years now. Fits well, is lasting well, light weight. My only complaint (same with most helmets) is their lame excuse for "venting." Although mine is a model from a few years ago... only vents are at chin area.
Sweat-Hog

Mine has adjustable open/close vents on the top and apparently internal vents as well.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
robwbright said:
When I find one for less than $100. . . :)
Let us know how that works out for ya :)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
My wife frowns at the idea of a $550 helmet. "Buy a $150 helmet, your life insurance exceeds that by far!" :think: ... :whoa:

So I'm guessing she's going to tell the doc to unplug the life support when you go in for a flu shot?

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
A Snell rating is the same on a $100 helmet, as it is on a $500 "Gucci" lid. Beginners should go for the highest Snell rating they can afford.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
While I agree that it's nice to try and get away with it as cheap as you can, but if you've ever ridden with an Arai vs. whatever else, you'll wonder how you could stand riding with that cheap lid.

and I'm riding with a cheap lid now since my Arai is well over 12 years old, and I'd still like to afford gas for the bike ;)

Top Bottom