high revs on XR200 with choke off

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Hello,

I have a '95 XR 200 that runs fine when the choke is on. When you turn the choke off, it revs up pretty high. Is this likely something clogged in the carb? I had taken the carb apart and there was some gunk around the pilot jet. I sprayed it with carb cleaner, but I couldn't really see through the jet.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Does it rev real high at idle? If so mess with your idle screw (clockwise to turn idle higher, counterclockwise to slow down idle). Also I would first take your pilot jet out again and shoot it with some carb cleaner or starting fluid and invest in a wire brush (come in handy) and scrub away at the jet.

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Yeah, it revs real high at idle with the choke off. If I turn the idle down, and hit the throttle, it almost sounds and feels like the engine is going to cut off. Like it's starving for fuel or air, maybe?

Where can you get a wire brush small enough to get inside a pilot jet?

Thanks!

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Sometimes just carb cleaner and blating the jet with a air compressor doesn't always get the gunk out (past experience). If you notice the tiny holes at the tip of the pilot jet gunk likes to buildup there. You can get a wire brush at mostly any store (k-mart, pep boys, hardware store, etc). They come in handy if ya need to clean your sparkplug, clean your chain, and for cleaning carb jets :cool:

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Thanks again for the replies. Cleaned the carb out again with carb cleaner, compressed air, and wire brush. Runs great now!
-----
Brandon

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
Next time heat the jet with a propane torch until it just turns orange, cool it off and blow it with compressed air. The ash just blows away! Sometimes I may have to run a wire thru it a little if the ash is still too hard.

Your ridin' bud Kurt

Top Bottom