russ_220

May 31, 2002
I'm thinking of making the switch to the four stroke world :think: But I need some opinions on how the weight handling power etc. differs from a 250 two stroke. Anyone out there made the switch lately?

pace

Nov 21, 2003
I personally do not find my 525 to 'feel' any heavier than my CR on the trails. On the moto track however, it carries significantly more momentum and requires more physical input to rail berms in tight turns, etc. Ultimately it does feel a little more top heavy when ridden back to back with current motocross machinery, but it may compare favorably to your KDX.

The power is obviously way more linear than a 250 two-stroke, and in the case of the EXC models they will make noticeably less peak power. Low-end grunt is awesome though, and you'll rarely find yourself touching the clutch lever. The CRFs I've ridden had significantly more midrange punch than the EXC, but comparatively weak low end.

It might be worth noting that valve adjustment is arguably an easier task on the KTMs than the modern Japanese thumpers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom