I hate tow trucks!!

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
My family went out to dinner last night. That's not an abnormal thing, we eat out 2-4 times a week. We went to a mexican resturant in Reston, and parked in a construction parking lot. There were signs outside the parking lot that said something to the affect of "if you're not a construction worker and you park here, your vehicle will be towed". When we pulled in the parking lot had upwards of 200 cars. So...after dinner, shopping, Harry Potter and Starbucks, we went to get in our car and go home. After a half of an hour of working...still no car. We finally found that a couple of cars were towed. 10:45. We found a cab ($20), and went twenty minutes away to a creepy, empty tow lot and paid our fine ($90). Now if we had violated the parking lot, and got towed, that would be fine. But that night we were driving our Mercedes, and out of a lot of 200+ cars, they picked us. It seems to me that they shouldn't be allowed to randomly pick and choose a few nice looking cars, that they should either leave the cars alone, or tow all 200+. To add insult to injury, we got up this morning at 5 to see the meteor shower, and it was too foggy to see ANYTHING.

Grok

Oct 14, 2001
Tow Trucks are neat, I hate the tow truck company's. :debil:

I think those stinking lot cruisers are everywhere.:ugg:

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
when i crashed my car, the tow truck came and the guy was too stupid to figure out how to tow my car. so he had to call in another truck, the guy got there and didnt even do anything and the first guy figured it out. when i get the bill they charged me an extra $200 for the second tow, and the guy didnt even do anything. he drove up, looked at my car, watched the other guy hoist up the car, and then drove off...*******s

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So the tow truck guy should have picked the 1974 Toyota Celica ST that was falling apart from rust instead? Who do ya' figure is going to pay, they guy with the car not worth the fine of the fancy Dodge? Seems like he was pretty smart picking the car that somebody would want back. Parking there just because everybody else did makes it right? So jumping off a bridge because everybody else was would be OK too? Why do cops pull over EVERYBODY that is speeding? Y'all got burned, bet ya' don't park in that lot next time.:debil:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Sorry to hear about your tow problem, unfortunately, you should have left out the fact that you saw the sign! We would have been simpathetic with you then, you gotta know how to have DRN work for ya! If you were a tow company, what car would you rather have in your lot? The old ratty carolla that will probably be yours in the end or the MBZ that won't stay more than 15 minutes after the owner finds out where it is!

How was Harry Potter by the way?
Elk

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Know what I hate?

Pulling people out of ditches! (or snow drifts, or snow berms, or waiting for them to get out of my way!)

Running a snowplow, you run into all sorts of donks that want pulled out (for free!). Usually, I tell them it's gonna cost them (some adult refreshment for later, of course :D ) or I'll call the tow truck (and that will cost them!).

I say you tempted fate, and you got bit! Sorry . . . :confused:

Titanium

May 22, 2000
A friend of mine used to tow for Henry's (that's most likely who got your Benz), he took me along a few times for some late night missions a long time ago. They would get about 5 trucks together and roll through apartments, hospitals, restraunts, where ever they had contracts to clear fire lanes and stuff. If you are parked in the wrong place...you are doomed, it doesn't matter what you do. Give me 2 floor jacks and one other person, and I can roll your car out of the tightest space you have ever seen (I'll roll it to a truck somewhere down the street, where it's convenient and quiet). It's like they were on commando runs once we got there, they were dead serious and so fast at yanking cars...it was impressive really. Sorry to hear they got you.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Around here they call it "Snag-n-drag". I just wish Wally world would start towing ILLEAGALY parked vehicles. Hey folks, a fire lane does not mean you can park there as long as you are sitting in the drivers seat. Load your stuff and move.
It's simple, if you speed, drive wrecklessly, or tailgate others you will pay for it at one time or another. You will either pay fines or higher insurance premiums or both. Drive within the law and you will have more money to spend on your bike and gear.:D

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
There were signs outside the parking lot that said something to the affect of "if you're not a construction worker and you park here, your vehicle will be towed".

What part of the sign did you not understand? I have a friend in the tow business and I know for a fact he would much rather have your Mercedes than a rusted out piece of sh** that no one will come back to get. You took a chance and got caught, can't cry about that!

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
yeah but think of it this way. if no one comes to get the POS car, they can auction it off for more money than the ticket would be for the mercedes...

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
They get about $50 scrap metal price from the crusher for a junk car and they have to store it for 60 days. I think I'd rather have $100 for the tow plus $40 for opening the storage yard after hours.

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
over here the tow yards sell the cars that arent claimed for anywhere from 100-5000 bucks

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
You still have to hold the car for 60 days and then file all the paper work and then sell it. $140 for 30 minutes work sounds like the way to go. Most of the cars not claimed here are worth less than $1000 and are pick up for no insurance and the person could get another POS cheaper than paying the tow, fine for no insurance, and getting everything else straight. Also, it is likely the car wasn't registered in their name to begin with. POS cars in Louisiana are a dime a dozen.

andym

Jun 3, 2000
My Tow Truck Story

One night around midnight I woke up to a noise. I went to check it out and there was a tow truck hooking to my '96 Nissan truck. I go outside, pistol in hand, and ask what the hell this guy is doing. He said he had to repo my truck for delinquent payments. I had paid the truck off 3-4 months earlier. He says he's sorry but was told to repo a '94 Toyota truck. After I pointed out I had a Nissan and he was looking for a Toyota he apologized. He was looking for someone named Randy T. Mullins from another town and I guess he though Andrew J Mullins was close enough. I thought the whole thing was over. A few weeks I get a letter from a lawyer. I call them and explain that I'm not who they were looking for. The lawyer's office says the repo guy said he found the truck but was ran off at gun-point. I pointed out that he found a Nissan truck and not a Toyota, and he didn't even have the right name. They said they would take care of it. Still not over. A deputy comes to my house serving papers for me to appear in court. On the court date I have a friend represent me, he's in law school. When I'm on the stand he asks my name and the type of truck I own, nothing else. He gets the repo people on the stand and asks who they are trying to repo from and the type of truck they are trying to repo, nothing else. The judge laughed at the repo company, told them they waisted everybody's time, and told them if he ever saw something like this again he would have their licsense revoked.

JeffK

Sep 9, 2001
I have no sympathy for people that park in 'signed' no parking places.. You rate right up there with the people that park in handicap spots without giving a second thought to it..

Now I have my own sob story. I used to live in an apartment complex that allowed you to only have 2 vehicles parked in front of your apartment .. mine and my brother's.. I had an extra car at the time so I went to the office to find out where I could park it.. The lady told me that as long as the car was registered with the office I could park it down at the end of the block with no problem.. So I did. I never really drove the car though it was just for emergency in case my other POS broke down.. It had tags, insurance and everything else - I came home from a weekend trip one day and realized the car was not there. I thought it was stolen so I went to the office to ask if they saw anything.. The same lady that told me I could park the car there said she had it towed because it was abandoned!! I asked her why she thought the car was abandoned and she told me that it hasn't moved for 2 months. I reminded her that she has the license, make, model, my name and phone number on record indicating who the car belonged to and asked why she didn't contact me.. her response was that it would take too long to go through all the records to find out who owned the car. I paid the $90 fee and got my car back - the complex refused to refund the tow bill.. so when my term was up I moved out.. I hate the apartment complex not the tow company.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I hate one specific tow company becuase they stole the speakers out of my wife's car when she was rear-ended and injured in an accident. While she was at the hospital, the tow yard was busy stealing her stuff.

I managed to recover the amp they unbolted from the floor, her subwoofer, house keys, jewelry, cell phone, CD's and most the other stuff they removed. If I had not demanded on recovering her property before they transferred the vehicle to the body shop, the tow company would have kept the goods and blamed the repair shop. Our word against theirs, they would say.

The tow company forked over most the goods when I camped out in their office and would not go away. They would not allow me access to the vehicle, so I couldn't check the speakers. They also took the cigarette lighter and cell phone charger.

SOME of these guys are criminal scum.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A friend of mine took his new 'vette to the car wash (this is back in the early 80's when T tops and gold chains with open shirts we in). Didn't think much about it until he got back to his "pad" and found the pound of pot he had under the seat gone!:eek: He sped back to the car wash and spoke to the manager about his loss. He got all the employees to come in and asked each if thay had "Removed the property from this gentlemans car." and of course nobody came forward. So the manager said "Would you like me to call the cops for you?" :)

JeffK

Sep 9, 2001
I would have made an anonymous tipoff to the cops that someone at the car wash was 'distributing' herb in large quantities.. Couple o drug sniffing dogs later and you could at least watch the show from across the street :p

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by Grok
Tow Trucks are neat

You said it, man. So are big rigs. And big tractors. When I was little, I wanted to drive a big rig (Peterbilt, of course- sorry KWjams) Screw that ejumacation crap. I wanted to work a CB radio! I wore the groves out of my CW McCall record when I was 3. :cool: My uncle's handle was Slick Shifter. I wanted to be Slick Shifter, too, but instead he called me Slick Snot.:o

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
speaking of tow trucks, my mom finally got tired of looking at the twisted up pile of metal - formerly know as my car - sitting in front of the house and called the junkyard to have it towed...the guy who showed up was an ex pro mx racer. of course my dad once again had to try and shatter my dreams of turning pro by pointing out the fact that this guy raced and is now a tow truck driver...go figure:mad:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom