I need help choosing a first dirt bike!

jrwisdom

May 7, 2005
I was hoping you guys could help me choose my first dirt bike. But first here is some info about me to help you guys help me. I am a pretty big guy I am 6'-1" tall, and I weigh about 230 pounds. My legs are like 32 in. tall. Umm I would mainly be riding out in the desert out by victorville and whatnot, so I don't need a racebike or anything. My budget is as little as possible hopefully $800-$1000.I need advice about whether or not to get a 4 or 2 stroke, displacement, etc. I don't really care about the brand, the main thing is I need something that doesn't cost a lot so that when I crash learning to ride it won't be that big of a deal. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Jim

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
First off, youre definately looking at a 250cc bike due to your size and stature. Im a 32 and the bikes hight is not a problem.

Contrary to what some will say, you can get a good bike and the gear for that budget. Now onto the bike. Try to leave 100-150 for helmet and what ever else you desire.

Four strokes are said to be great for trails and are catching onto a bigger market (ex: four stroke race bikes). Generally more expensive and are harder to find used. Honda XRs are the oldest most popular 4-strokes (Kawasaki KDX's are similar but 2strokes). These bikes are slower (250cc 4-stroke = 125cc 2-stroke)

Because you said about riding dunes, id recomend a 2-stroke. Many people who ride dunes ride either a 250 or 500. For a 1st bike, id go for a 250. You will have plenty of power and speed needed for dunes. These bikes are readily avavlible and priced in that range. Youre probily looking for years between 1988/89 through 1992/93.

As for brands, i like Kawasaki over Suzuki (havent had Yama or Hondas but have herd great things about both) because Kawasaki didnt often change the bikes that much over about a 5 year period so a part off of your bike also fits other bikes thus creating a greater need causing the store to carry it.

Any of these Japense models would be fine: KX, RM, CR, YZ,

Look for abuse when looking at bikes and look at many even if theyre over your price range (you'll get a good idea of what a good bike is like). Check nut heads - some dipsticks use piers instead of a socket/wrench. If theyre using piers i wouldnt want to imagine how else they care for the bike.

Good Luck
Brad

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Look at older Kawasaki KDX250s, Suzuki RMX250s or Yamaha WR250s. These are all 250 two-strokes that are trail-oriented bikes. They are a little easier to ride than full on mx bikes and don't need quite as much maitenance.

Top Bottom