yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Hey Fellow Spodes,
I've been considering adding to my CR or buying a new bike for myself, but I came to the conclusion that it is a great bike for me. I think I instead want to buy a bike for my father. He's 43 (in good shape) and he owned a motorcycle in college (so he knows how to ride). He gets out on my CR with me from time to time, but he really doesn't like or need to go fast, he just likes to put around. So, I want to buy him something that isn't too fast for him and won't be too underpowered for him. I was thinking about a KDX or an XR / TTR 250? I can't buy new, but I'll have at most $2000 to spend. How old a bike should I look at? Any tips? Hints? Things to look for or avoid? You guys are always so helpful
-yzeater

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Dang, I knew there was a reason I should have had children!

That is the most coolest thing I have heard in a long time! What a guy.

TTR250 would be great for your dad.

Jake T

Mar 23, 2000
Great idea! I would go with the KDX. If your dad is anything like my dad he'll want something
light and with low maitnence. This is what my dad wanted although he wanted something he could
really rev so he bought the CR250.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Any of the bikes would be good. I would stick with a thumper, something like an XR250R, XR400R, DRZ250, or DRZ400E. You should be able to find a good deal on an XR250R, as they've been around for a long time. Make sure he has a good helmet, boots, etc too.

kudzukudzu

Sep 2, 2001
If you can get him to split the tab, a DRZ400e may fit the bill. That's what I bought my dad; he's 67 and rocks on it! :aj: Old fighter pilots are that way, though. You should be able to get a good one for significantly less than $4000. The eButton is great. If you are limited to the $2000, I would suggest getting on cycletrader.com and looking for either the KDX, an XR250/400 (wouldn't go older than 1990, though), or possibly a KLX. I will say, though, that most of us older guys are looking for less noise and smoke than the two-strokes.

Best of luck!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Can't go wrong with a KDX. For that kind of money, you should be able to find a '95-'97 KDX in pretty good shape. Good luck!

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
I'd recommend the DRZ-e, then the XR4. (I sound like your dad, btw). If he wants more, let him switch to a 2 stroke (like I did). But those two bikes are a LOT of fun to get back into the sport on.

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
I just bought at 02 ttr 250 for my dad. Before that I bought him a 96 xr 400. He loves the TTR. There's nothing better for a guy who needs his knees replaced. He seems to be more into riding again this summer due to the electric start. Anywho thats what I got for my dad.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Haha. Nothing yet. I get paid money based upon my final grades. I'll take that money (and depending on how good my grades are) add to it what I make over the summer.

mkuder

Jan 3, 2002
I would look for a DRZ, as it's an excellent all aroung bike. I bought a new 2000 model a year ago for $4000, so you might find a good deal on a used one!

Top Bottom