Idaho Liquor Dispensary profits soaring

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
being a new politician and wondering where else we can get some funds for municipal projects, this caught my eye.

It also piqued my interest about liquor in other states. Can anyone tell me if your state controls distribution through state liquor stores like Idaho does?
BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- Officials with the Idaho Liquor Dispensary say new residents who are bringing with them a taste for better booze are behind a 90 percent increase in state-controlled liquor sales.

In its recently released report for fiscal year 2007, which ended June 30, the dispensary listed its net income at $42.4 million.

That's up from $22.3 million in 2003.

The top selling product is Crown Royal Canadian Blended Whiskey, with more than 200,000 bottles sold at $25.95 each.

The dispensary also reports that the most expensive bottle of liquor it has ever sold was in the last fiscal year.

That was a $6,000 bottle of 50-year-old Macallan Single Malt Scotch Whiskey sold in December 2006 in the resort town of Ketchum.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
AFAIK, in SC the stores are heavily regulated by the state, but not run by them. We do have some odd restrictions, like if you sell liquor, you can't sell mixers or food or anything else....just liquor. Many liquor stores are physically split into two with separate exterior entrances with one side selling just liquor and the other side selling beer, wine, munchies, and cigarettes.

It has only been a year or two that SC got rid of the mini-bottle restrictions on bars and restaurants. Until recently, any liquor drink had to be made from a mini-bottle to guarantee that the state got its proper taxes for each drink. They claimed something about having the strength of the drinks uniform, but it was really a tax issue.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Liquor stores in Texas sell hard stuff, wine & beer. Grocery stores sell wine & beer. Convienance stores typically just sell beer with some cheap wine. Liquor stores are closed on Sundays and you can't buy beer or wine before noon on Sunday. They do give free samples in the liquor store I go to :)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Patman said:
Liquor stores in Texas sell hard stuff, wine & beer. Grocery stores sell wine & beer. Convienance stores typically just sell beer with some cheap wine. Liquor stores are closed on Sundays and you can't buy beer or wine before noon on Sunday. They do give free samples in the liquor store I go to :)

Pretty much the same in Ohio and WV.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Here in Rhode Island you can only buy alcohol, of any variety, in a liquor store. They are limited to the hours of 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 6 p.m. on Sundays. The law giving liquor stores the ability to open on Sundays just passed about 3 years ago. The stores also aren't open on any religious holidays and many of the other holidays (Like New Years Day). They also regulate restaurants by not allowing them to serve alcohol on Sundays until noon.

They've also recently passed a law that doesn't allow for chain liquor stores. They said they did it to give the little stores more of a chance. From what I can tell, the stores that were chains just changed the business names so they differ at each location. Not sure if that helps the cause or not.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Pennsylvania only sells liquor in state stores (closed sundays). Beer in distributors, bars and Squeaky's and PK's favorite place, the six pack shop (1 sixpack at a time :laugh: ) Afew select grocery stores are starting to get beer in them.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I miss Chicago/N. Illinois when it comes to buying booze .... the grocery stores sell it all.

SINGLETRAC

Oct 10, 2007
Okiewan said:
I miss Chicago/N. Illinois when it comes to buying booze .... the grocery stores sell it all.
i was born and lived in rochelle il. it was a big culture shock going from alcohol everywhere to having to drive across state lines to get it..... welcome to the bible belt. :fft:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Okiewan said:
see, that would be culture shock to me, seeing hard liquor at the grocery store.

I guess the article doesn't explain it well enough for anyone outside Idaho to understand. Here, you only get the hard stuff at the state liquor dispensaries. I believe in this case, the state has the liquor business and the dispensaries are like a franchisee. I've not seen wine sold there, but they do have malt liquor. Grocery stores can sell beer and wine every day from 7 am to 1 am. The liquor stores are open from 11am - 7pm Monday thru Saturday, and I believe they are closed on the big federal holidays (I can't say as I've tried to buy any on MLK or President's day).

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
California taxes the heck out of liquor, and puts a number of restrictions (very mild compared to other states) on were it is served. In general, just about any place can sell it, but they have to have the proper license. So you see beer sold at gas station convenience stores.

It is common for grocery stores to sell beer, wine and hard liquor. You can buy in bulk at Costco. No state regulaton on price so prices vary a lot.

Rod

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Yep every grocery store here in Wisconsin seems to have a liquor aisle as well as a beer and wine walk in cooler. Biggest problem is at the checkout if the clerk is under 18 they can not ring it up. Heck we even had a drive up window at our liquor store down the street.
I still remember living in Utah and joining a club to have a drink in public. You brought in your bottle and bought the mixer from the bar. Once the seal on the bottle was cracked open you could not remove it from the club so they rented lockers to put it in for your next visit-I think I still have bottles in lockers at a couple places

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I thought I heard that you could only be a member of one club at a time in Utah.. Odd state...

Indiana is similar to Wisconsin..

No liquor sales on Sunday, cept for in a place that also sells food.. Bars & restaurants. But the bar can't just sell food on Sunday to get around the rule, it has to be part of the regular deal.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
IndyMX said:
I thought I heard that you could only be a member of one club at a time in Utah.. Odd state...

that was 35 years ago and may have changed since but I belonged to several at the same time.

Some of my Mormon friends seemed to have an inordinate amount of colds as they could have alcohol for medicinal purposes at least that is what they said :laugh:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I still remember living in Utah and joining a club to have a drink in public. You brought in your bottle and bought the mixer from the bar.
Oklahoma was that way until a few years ago.... the mixers were called a "set-up". You brought your bottle, they put your name on it and kept it behind the bar. Trick was to befriend the bartender :) .

Still in OK, maybe Texas too, besides Sunday... no Holidays and not the day of an local/state election.

Thank heaven the gubnant is there to save us from ourselves.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
The biggest thing I miss about Iowa, you can buy beer at any gas station/convenience store, grocery store, they even sold beer in the Super WalMart!

Here in RI, you better make some inventory notes, or you may find yourself with no beers on the holidays!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I buy my beer in the local convenience store, but I think NC has a deal similar to what you mentioned. You have to go to a state owned ABC store for a Jack and Jim (unless you have military exchange privileges :).

BLACKeR

Oct 30, 2007
before i die, i just hope i get a chance to live in america. the america where you can do things and buy things without ridiculous taxation and regulation...sigh.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Idaho Liquor Dispensary profits soaring
Getting cold up there? Are the sheep getting nervous? J/K:laugh:
Oklahoma up to 1983 was a "dry" state. Meaning, there was no liquor by the drink. You bought the bottle at a "bottle" store, then took it to a "private club";), and you paid them to pour your liquor into a glass with ice and a mixer. You finished before you left because the "private club" was not allowed to keep the bottles and you didn't want to have an open container on the way home. Well though out, :whoa:.
Now, we are simular to TX. Bottle stores sell the hard stuff, wine, and stong beer (just plain old regular beer in other states) not refrigerated. Liquor stores are closed on Sunday and federal holidays and are open from 10am to 9pm. "Oklahoma Beer" which is 3.2 proof is sold cold in stores and restaraunts until 2am and resumes at 8am.
3.2 beer is simular to a wine cooler, you don't really buy it, you just rent it for about an hour.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Seriously, you can buy hard or soft liquor at any store here. You can even buy it at a 7-11. It does not compute that you cannot buy liquor certain days of the week or at special stores?? I gotta run, need to get to the 24 hour store before they close to get some hooch. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom