bluefirez

Jul 20, 2006
ok so the other week i was riding my 93 rebuilt rm250 when it all of a sudden while riding just bogged down and when it just shut off while i was still free riding it i slipped it into first to try to get it back up just thinking something happened that stuck. so it went into first and felt like the piston was moving freely without any pressure. so i got off a tryed to kick start it and there was 0 compression i could push down the kicker with my hand and could hear the piston moving inside. so i figured out just now that there was no radiator fluid or anything else in the radiator. so i figured i blew a head gasket so i bought the kit and now i have no idea if i should do this myself trying to install it. it will be my first time trying something liek this..... what do you guys know? should i goand do it myself? is there a guide on how to replace the gaskets......( ihave every gasket for the bike) what other ones might need to be replaced?

any help will be alot of help thanks guys so much!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If you plan on working on it yourself, the first thing I would do is buy a service manual. Sounds like you may have seized the piston. Especially if there was no coolant in the radiator. You may have a bigger problem than bad gaskets.

Just my $ .02

mongial

Oct 28, 2006
Sounds like you may have burned a hole in the piston. I have seen it done where a guy ran a plug that was WAY to hot (an 89 RM125 with a borrowed plug from a 2001 RM 125). Same scenario, ran fine, the next thing you know its bogging down, dies, :bang: zero compression.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
take it apart and see whats wrong- a book is helpfull
take pic of tearin it down if you can-
if it needs a new topend - go with wiseco-
lightly hone the cyl-
check the piston to cylinder clearance-- wiseco calls for .003
check the head to see if its warped at all-
a straight edge- a piece of flat straight glass will help see if there is any warpage
check the power valves make sure there working and clean-
check the rod while its apart-
grasp the rod and pull it up and dow lightly to see if there is any movement between the rod and berring-- there should be movement from side to side -but not up and down
if everything checks out ok --re assemble it

Top Bottom