RockstarSMP

Aug 9, 2006
Hey all,

Basically, I'm looking for a bike for my girlfriend to learn on, but I want something that's good enough for me to ride too. I've pretty well narrowed the search down to the Honda CRF250X, which seems like a perfect bike for her to learn on, and is plenty for me to get rowdy on when I want to ride a 4-stroke, instead of my CR250R. Eventually I'll get a 450 for myself, but for now I don't have the $$. Since I have friends that do a lot of long distance riding, I'm planning to ride the 4-stroke with them, and when I'm riding the dunes or with my girlfriend, I'll ride the 2-stroke.

It seems the 250x would be fine for her to learn on, and it looks like a pretty fun bike that I'm interested in riding too. The only problem I see is that the 4-strokes seem to require a lot of maintenance. I can do it myself, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to something that isn't so "needy" and still performs well (good suspension, low weight). Below is the list of questions I cut/pasted, so does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
Me: 6'-180#, fit.
Her: 5'8"-110#, fit... thin, but really strong for a girl, so I don't think she'll have a problem with the bike's size.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I'm aggressive. So is she and I think she'll pick up riding easily.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Trail riding (Big Bear, etc), Baja, desert (Ocotillo, Jawbone), dunes (Glamis).

4) Do you have any riding experience?
She's brand new, no experience. Me -- Several years.

5) Do you think you will race?
Probably not, but you never know.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes, I'll do pretty much all the work on valves, etc., but would rather do as little as possible.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No preference on brand (the Honda looks best tho), but I definitely want a 4 stroke.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
OTD Cycle Sports looks like they're the best deal if we decide new, but I'd rather save the money and buy used.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
I haven't decided on new or used yet. I've seen used CRF250X's for $4k, so I want to stay around there. I don't see a point in going with new, but I haven't completely ruled it out. Is there any reason to go with brand new?

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion...
I'm mainly concerned with maintenance costs. I've heard the CRF's need valve servicing/pistons every 10-15 hours, but I'm not sure that's true. Seems like a lot to me, but if that's what I have to do, so be it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Find a XR 400, it's about as bullet-proof as 4t's get. Mellow enough for her to learn on (since you are going bike bike anyway), but still a blast to ride.

Where you say you'll ride also works for the 400, a 2-T (250) would be better in the dunes.

The level of maint. required on modern 4-T's is generally exaggerated. Yes, you need to change the oil more often and yes, you need to check and occassionaly shim the valves (not rocket science). If you read the manuals, 2-T's general require top-ends way more often than most of us do them as well, same with the 4-T's.

wgates011

Jan 29, 2005
I gots a xr250r and love it... I ride all tight trails or orcherds. Very little maintance.. twice a year i do a valve job. it does not have shime and bucket valves. It has old school rocker arm valves.. I have done a little work to it but my GF learned to ride on it. She is about 120lbs and 5-8.. she has been extremly trouble free. Never problem in the 6 years i have owned her so far. I 1 set of rear wheel bearings. I have to do stem bearing and frount wheel bearings. I have done brake pads 2 times a year and discs once a year.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
wgates011 said:
She is about 120lbs and 5-8.. she has been extremly trouble free. Never problem in the 6 years i have owned her so far.

Now that's saying something.........but wait till she hits her 40s, they become quite high maintainance then.........and they're convinced they can run without you.

geraldo

Oct 12, 2004
I would agree with the XR400. Simple 4-stroke air cooled technology. We had one around the farm since '96 and have changed the oil once a year along with drivetrain maintenance and rode the guts out of it and still have not had a problem. It may not be the best looking bike anymore but 1-2 kicks and it is running. Probably the best bike I have ever owned.

RockstarSMP

Aug 9, 2006
Just checked pricing on xr250r's and I think it'd probably be perfect for her, however, the reviews I checked out look like it's closer to a beginner's bike... not good for me. I have a lot of friends who do long distance riding through Baja, etc., which is why I'm looking for a bike that I can sometimes ride too. My 2stroke doesn't have the range I need.

I'd just go out and get my own thumper, but I race midgets and all my funds are going that way at the moment. I'm still leaning towards the CRF250X, it looks like such a killer bike. I'm thinking that if I can talk her into it, that's the one and I'll help her pay for it. If I can't, then I'll tell 'er about the xr. =)

Thanks for all the help...
And if anyone's going to the Baja 1000 this year, we'll be camping out for a few days if someone wants to link up. I just met a guy that works for the McMillans... told me we can look him up and hang this year.

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
...is there a bullet proof 4-stroke....yes, it's but it is a new 'cutting edge' develepment with 2 less strokes, I also hear that Honda C-90 cubs have a good reputation as well :)

Seriously, when I saw your last comment about the sexy CRF-250 I had to chime in.
Within my Ltd circle of mechanically sympathetic friends, two of whom have CRF250 (MX and Enduro), they have had nothing but problems...no doubt they have been unlucky with balance shafts, valves, spokes, hubs, clutches.... you may want to ask around your local area to see if these are ones off's (sorry two!)

Wonderful bikes though, when they aren't in pieces...their 450's have been fine

Could a DRZ fit the bill...they have a real good name around here, cheap (maybe even cheap enough to buy new and avoid all those 'mint sh*tters' you have to go and see in the adverts), bomb-proof build, far better to ride than most would have you believe (yes I know they have old fangled RWU forks that look dated but are proper low wrench bikes and quite plush on the ride) and although a 'lil porky they "carry it well sir", the aftermarket is well supported, and some even have 'ye electric foot' and you can lower them if its a bit too high...why didn't I buy one :whoa:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Maybe you need to get her a bike and get yours later. She is afterall, a beginner.

I'll never forget when me and my brother both got 650 dual sports. We were both 6'3 and 240 ish at the time. He was a weightlifter as well...but also a beginning rider. Needless to say, after many incidents of trail side crying (he really embarrased me at times) he traded it for an XR250. His riding improved DRAMATICALLY and he started having a great time.

That whole incident has put me on the side of getting a beginner a beginner bike. I am also a proponent of "one bike does NOT do all" and I have 4 or 5 to prove it. I think DRzs and XR400s are a bit heavy and tall for 110 pound beginners...but an XR250 is going to stink on the dunes (I would think all of these XRs, DRZs, 250fs would). Tough call.

Last edited:

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
The XR250/400 fit the bulletproof bill very well. I grew up riding XR's and still have XR based bikes in my garage. With that stated, it is fair to state that the Yamaha TTR250 and Suzuki DRZ250/400 are also extremely reliable bikes, however their limitation is aftermarket support. The XR's have huge aftermarket support and the only non-XR bike that comes really close is the DRZ400. The TTR250 and DRZ250 have an almost non-existent aftermarket.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, if the question is which is the more fun, better performing trail bike, an XR400 or DRZ400, the answer is very simple: DRZ400.

The XR400's strong points are good low end power and reliability. But the trail version of the DRZ400 is better in every other way, IMO.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I agree with what you are saying Dave but I went with another XR400 this go around because when I drop it, I don't want to worry about radiators and punching holes in the clutch/ignition covers. XRs seem to be a little bit more friendly to work on as well (accessability and bolt sizes). Not to mention how often the DRZ batteries go bad when sitting.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
If she's a beginner, a CRF250F is going to be a handful in my opinion...it is also far far from bulletproof. If you want her to take to the sport, buy her a beginner bike, preferably one with estart and forget about trying to get her a bike to begin on that you can take and rip in the dunes with, that is also bulletproof...I'm not so sure such a bike exists. I don't know your woman, but often if they get a sour taste, they aren't going to come back to it...so unless you want her to ride once or twice and then swear off it, focus on her having an enjoyable experience with her first bike.

Top Bottom