kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Best Woods 250?

I have searched in all the forums and want to post this question to all my fellow KDXers. I'm thinking of parting ways after 3 yrs. of fun on my KDX. I rode my buddies 00 YZ250 with 11oz FWW and loved it! He said after riding my bike that he really needs a damper and I said man I really need a YZ. Any thoughts or insights to which year other than the 2000 or maybe another direction like the KX. I'm leaning toward the Blue but just thought I'd ask. I'll always have a sweet spot for the KDX and I hope no one is too ill for me asking such a question here. Thanks, Josh

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
You sure do see a lot of Yz's in GNCC........... Also consider a CR250 with flywheel weight, pipe and lower gearing....... An friend has one and it really rocks............not as powerful as the YZ but sometimes that works to an advantage.....plus Honda build quality....just a thought.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Blue seems to be the 250 of choice. I made the mistake of riding on 01 or 02 about 6 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I picked up my 05 and love it, but it has tons of mods all making it single track friendly (revalve, flywheel weight, Rekluse, long rod kit, etc).

I am finding that on moderate paced rides on very rocky trails the floating couch, err, I mean KDX, is much easier to ride. Crank it up to race pace and the YZ gets me though much faster, especially when big hits start to come up more often.

KDX220 Rider

Jul 28, 2000
My choice would be the KTM XC-W. Everything I've read or heard has been good. In TN you find probably more KTM's in the woods than other brands. For me, my next bike will be either the 250, or more likely the 300 XC-W. Just my 2 cents.

BTW, get a steering damper no matter what you end up on. I picked up a used WER a month ago and I won't go back.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Yeah I've got a Scott's now that will definitely be going with me. I like the KTM's but they seem to require more maintenance-I've got several friends with them.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I third the KTM, having previously ridden green. I suspect the extra maintenance you've heard about with KTMs are the 4 strokes, since the 2 strokes are actually more durable than the Japanese bikes. The 2007 300 XC-W is an amazing bike in particular, with David Knight winning the Last Man Standing on his 300.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The problem I see with KTM's is that everyone who has one doesn't want to sell it! Used ones are few and far between, and usually seem to be quite old by the time they are given up.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
adam728 said:
The problem I see with KTM's is that everyone who has one doesn't want to sell it! Used ones are few and far between, and usually seem to be quite old by the time they are given up.
Sort of flies in the face of that maintenance statement, eh? I want a 2007 for sure, but my 1999 is still so dang good I find it hard to justify a new one. They really do hold up amazingly well, with excellent component quality and design. The linkageless rear suspension, tool-less filter access, most bolt heads being the same size regardless of shank diameter, powdercoated frames, braided stainless steel lines, hydraulic clutches, etc. all mean less or easier maintenance.

They're all good but just like a quality German car, they continuously improve each year. The 2006 and 2007 were especially good due to major chassis and fork improvements.

Doug

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I've heard the KTM's vibrate more too. I've got four buddies with newer KTM's from 200 to 450's and they have all had fork seal issues-kinda supports the maintenance statement huh? Plus I have never been held up on the trail by having to work on a co-rider's bike except for... you guessed it-A KTM. They are nice bikes, but too expensive on resale and again my experience is too maintenance oriented. I want to ride not work, heck my club is already nagging me to help work on the trails- I don't need another excuse not to help. I guess i should have headed this post except KTM.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
What year CR does your buddy have Sandman? My buddies YZ is a 2000 with an 11oz. Steahly and it is still too fast I think, so a CR may be an option because they do make great quality.

28marcb

Mar 28, 2006
I have to defend ktm here. It sounds like a good deal of your buddies are riding them(ktm), which would probably explain why you were helping someone with a Ktm on the trail. The build quality of ktm far exceeds the mass production of jap bikes. It has to, for a period of time that is the only thing ktm had to hang there sales on. I dont think the honda would make you happy, it has a light switch powerband and little bottom end power, may as well get a 125. Probably couldn't go wrong with the yamaha or any ktm 250.

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
I'd stick to KTM, it's most of what you see in the woods these days. At the MTDR ride at Loretta's this past weekend there were probably 60% KTM's and 40% others. Also, the fact you can't find many is also a statement right there.

Now if you buy a blue bike, then you spend thousands, not hundreds of $$ upgrading it, but you still won't have the WR suspension, brembo brakes, link-less suspension; easy to work on everything, adjustable power-valve. But you would have now spent more than if you bought a pumpkin to begin with. I think the decision is easy.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Brembo brakes that are finicky to boil occasionally? Buds have had that problem too. Thanks for the tip on the CR, kinda was what I've been reading. Thousands? Na! Reshim and spring $300, 13oz. FWW $100, adjust powervalve if need be, jets a dime a dozen. Out $400 in mods, I really don't see thousands. I'm not bashing KTM, they are the BMW of the dirt bike world. The whole KTM thing is kinda like Harleys the way I see it.Seems like everyone is buzzing about them. Cool bikes but I personally would never own one even if I could afford it. KTMs are generally more expensive to operate. BTW you see alot of other 250's in the GNCC also.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
kingsxjt said:
Brembo brakes that are finicky to boil occasionally? Buds have had that problem too. Thanks for the tip on the CR, kinda was what I've been reading. Thousands? Na! Reshim and spring $300, 13oz. FWW $100, adjust powervalve if need be, jets a dime a dozen. Out $400 in mods, I really don't see thousands. I'm not bashing KTM, they are the BMW of the dirt bike world. The whole KTM thing is kinda like Harleys the way I see it.Seems like everyone is buzzing about them. Cool bikes but I personally would never own one even if I could afford it. KTMs are generally more expensive to operate. BTW you see alot of other 250's in the GNCC also.

Revalve and spring for $300? Holy crap, tell me where!

KTM's are popular because they are great off road machines straight out of the box. They come with good quality parts, although most machines are now days, but 5 years ago KTMs were very well equiped compared to the Jap bikes.

And from my experience and what I have heard KTM's are probably MORE reliable than the Jap bikes, not less. I too am not a fan of Harleys, but I would not put KTM in that kind of catagory.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I'd say KTM. That's what I'm getting when my KDX is wore out, if that ever happens. :)

Sometimes stuff happens to your bike just because you ride it and sometimes because you don't ride it. I break crap on my KDX all the time and a KTM is probably the same. If you can keep a KTM running I think its a far better bike if you can afford it. Hey who else has the guts to keep making big bore 2 strokes! :aj:

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
SpeedyManiac said:
GasGas and TM both make 300cc two-strokes.

I meant that has dealers closer than 200 miles apart. :think: And doesn't cost $9K. :think: I'd like to ride one but I've never even heard of anyone around my neck of the woods with one. Besides if you think you need a 300 you better get a 380 just in case. :laugh:

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
kingsxjt said:
I have searched in all the forums and want to post this question to all my fellow KDXers. I'm thinking of parting ways after 3 yrs. of fun on my KDX. I rode my buddies 00 YZ250 with 11oz FWW and loved it! He said after riding my bike that he really needs a damper and I said man I really need a YZ. Any thoughts or insights to which year other than the 2000 or maybe another direction like the KX. I'm leaning toward the Blue but just thought I'd ask. I'll always have a sweet spot for the KDX and I hope no one is too ill for me asking such a question here. Thanks, Josh

Here's a tip:

Keep BOTH!

I use my KDX when I'm tweaking the YZ (or in my current state, rebuilding it after it was stolen) and vice versa (except the theft part hehehe)

It's also nice to have a KDX around when someone new to dirt bikes wants to ride one to see if they'd have fun trail riding...the KDX is such a ridable bike, they are instantly hooked.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Just wait a couple of years and the ktm fad will die just as the kdx fad did. Then they will be a dime a dozen. I've seen this irrational brand exuberance in everything from snowmobiles to dirt bikes, snow skis to fishing gear and basket ball shoes to golf clubs. If you are a pro quality rider you probably need the latest and greatest, otherwise quit posing and ride! Long live the kdx, still a great bang for the buck.

Top Bottom