destructo

Feb 24, 2006
I have found through my owning of a new 02 kx 250 that it had no bottom end and a hard hitting mid and topend, almost uncontrollable wheel spin, not good for woods. I now have an 07 YZ 250. compared to the last 4, 2 strokes ive owned,99 cr 125, 98 YZ 250, 06 Kx 100, and 02 KX250, the 07 YZ 250 is a dream to ride, the suspension fit and finish and handling is superb. Lacks a little on topend but I really only ride trails and am uncatchable in the woods where topend is not necesary, It handles like its on a rail, Yamaha is still doing Research and Development on 2 strokes and the 07 YZ 250 proves it, I would consider it to probably be the very best 2 stroke Ive ever ridden, and am blessed enough to own. :nod:

Dakota Kid

Jun 3, 2006
I have ridden a friends CRF250 X and have been pretty impressed with it. Some very good reading in the latest issue of Dirt Rider. Brings up some great points. I like the fact that they did not nothing to the CRF X compared to the mods that were done to the WR and KTM. CRF was box stock. This would be assuming you were interested in going 4 stroke. Me, still a 2 stroke guy!!! Ya gotta luv em!

I also like the price of being able to get into a KDX. It's a heck of a bike for the money! You can pick up great used ones for under 2K. In one of the recent dirt rags, they had an article called "buck 25" on picking up used 125 racers, fixing em up and riding. Unfortunately, they all put way to much money into these bikes. I would love to see an article called "Backwoods on a budget". Have the article on guys having fun on KDX's, IT's, XR's Etc. Starting to ramble here, sorry guys!!

Dakota Kid

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
I rode an 07 CR 250 and thought it was best suited for an A rider. There is not much for bottom end power but the suspension was absolutely fabulous. If you are fast and talented then the CR is a great bike. I race an 07 YZ and find it to be very forgiving (for a MX bike). I also had a 03 RM and loved that. Clutches did not last long in that bike but I would buy another one. If you throw enough money at any bike you can achieve what you want! Dosn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride!

Mark

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
My 93 CR250 had a great low-end. The 03, however, took a bunch of work to wake up the low-end. That's really the ONLY gripe I have about the bike. And to be honest, I loved tuning this thing until I got it the way I wanted.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I am staying 2 stroke on my next bike. I really liked the tractor like ability of my buddy's 4 strokes, but that was early on in my riding "career". The 2 strokes are lighter and make almost twice the power cube for cube (I'm comparing older 4 strokes). I haven't ridden the CRF250 X, but have heard good things about it. The new generation 4 strokes make tons of power, but the heads are so hot rodded that they require more maintenance at more $. I have heard the 250X is bad about valve seats wearing out prematurely.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
I have heard the 250X is bad about valve seats wearing out prematurely.[/QUOTE]

I've herd that too but have friends with 250x's and 450x's with no probs yet. Both awesome trail bikes but the 250 is a little slow to spool up.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
The RM's are also good........the RM and YZ motors are almost the same thing. Very different handling though (obviously, I like the RM). Maybe folks just don't like yellow..........everyone who rides my bike says "SWEET, I could race this." Don't rule out a Suzy......

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
remember the 250 four stoke is the 125 two stroke replacement. On the valve stretch valve seat problem is related to the high revs the little thumpers have to do on the track.
The new thumpers that are woods bikes are low rpm chuggers or they dont see 7000-12000 rpm madness like on the mx track so the problem is not as great.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
2 strokes for life said:
Mully, this is what i find the bikes are like.

Well I wondered.

So you have ridden each of them??

I mean you are a few months short of your 15th birthday, and your answer reads like it came directly out of the bike mags, and you list an old IT as your bike. I guess I just didn't know that you had so much access to each of the brands. :think:

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Makes sense. I still am sold on the 2 strokes for power to weight ratio, plus maintenance costs. I'll probably go 4 stroke when I bust 50yrs. old, which I'm sad to say is closer than i'd like to think! LOL!

FoxRider_4

Mar 25, 2007
i have to sid e with 28marcb on everything except what he says about cr's i have a 250 with a gnarly and a flywheel and it is great with those on but is a lightswitch without them. however i also have a 300 exc and its a great bike you cant go wrong with ktm.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
kingsxjt said:
mtk, do you think the 02 and 00 CR's are ported differently or do you think the carb is the ticket? I'm not ruling out red, heck my boys both have CRF 50's now and I've got alot of confidence in that brand too. I know some say just pick a color and go with it, but I'm far too anal to just pick one only to have to shell out extra money to correct a problem (say a port job) on a certain model that wouldn't have to be done on another. One more ? Is the 02 Aluminum framed? If so, do you guys think they are too stiff?

The 2000 and 2002 are completely different engine designs.

As for the "shelling out money for a port job," I look at it as money well-spent. The stock engine is good, but the ported one is great. Not to mention that the power is tailored exactly how you want it. If I wanted bottom end, he could do that. A top-end screamer, say the word. I picked "Mo Betta," which filled in the bottom end and added some top to boot.

Besides, it is an MX bike and I'm trying to turn it into a woods weapon. The two require different power characteristics. The explosive power and minimal flywheel used in MX doesn't work too well in tight woods.

Now I just wish I would have bought one of the Baja Designs wide-ratio tranny kits for it before they all disappeared. :bang:

Both the 2000 and 2002 are aluminum framed and not too stiff, which was mostly magazine crapola aimed at the 1997-99 models.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Who did you use for the port job? Then did you add aftremarket pipe and carb machining? I'd like to be able to run pump gas too. 93 octane to be exact. Do most port jobs require you to run race fuel? I've got a good handle on jetting, but have not delved into machine work on the engine. Good info guys, thanks and keep it coming!

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Eric Gorr did the porting. Alas, he no longer ports two-strokes, at least according to his website, but I think he does refer you to others who he's personally trained.

The carb is a stock PWK Air Striker and no machining is necessary, or desirable.

As for a pipe, I used a new FMF Fatty on it, mostly because I found a new one fairly cheap and the stock pipe was dented. I also had an E-line pipe guard to fit an FMF and that sealed the deal.

I run CAM2 race fuel in mine because I was getting a bit of detonation in some circumstances. It isn't the best for two-strokes but it is reasonable in price and stopped the detonation. I could have sent it back to EG for rework but it wasn't worth it to me. He would set it up for race or pump gas, depending on owner preference. Honestly, I think my problem was more related to old pump gas or the variations in summer blend pump fuel than it was a porting error.

As far as race fuel goes, while it is more expensive, it is also infinitely better than pump gas. It is consistent, batch to batch, which makes jetting much easier. No two cans full of pump fuel will behave the same, which makes jetting a nightmare. A race fuel designed for two-strokes will also give the best possible throttle response. Not to mention the exhaust smells a lot better. ;)

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
It used to be around $200, but you'll have to talk to a shop and see what their current rates are since EG doesn't do it any longer.

Head over to www.eric-gorr.com and go from there.

Oh yeah, you port the cylinder on a two stroke. The head is just a lid with a spark plug hole in it. ;)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
mtk said:
Now I just wish I would have bought one of the Baja Designs wide-ratio tranny kits for it before they all disappeared. :bang:

There is another company offering them, but it escapes my old brain at the moment; do a search. They are pricy but worth it if you are keeping the bike.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Thanks mtk. I should have realized it was the cylinder you ported, not the head. I used to rebuild my .12 OS-CV on my rc truck and the sleeve had the ports in it. :coocoo: So you're basically saying that I could get a lacking low end, yet kicking topend bike "turned around" if you will? Or is there mechanical issues like say too much meat taken off in a certain area of the sleeve that makes it impossible to change the motor that much?

Top Bottom