RS1441

Jun 18, 2006
I can jump pretty well but i keep wondering if i am doing it wrong i have been reading advice people have been giving about jumping and i seem to do it differently. I tend to rev up to the jump pull in my clutch and go over the jump with my clutch in and i seem to do ok then when i land let go of clutch and continue riding is that a ok way to do it because other people say to keep the revs on up to and over the jump :whoa: also i saw a video on jumping and they guy sat down but if i jump i tend to stand up. if i sat down i am pretty sure i would fall off....

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You REALLY need to take their advice.

matto_69

Jun 25, 2006
lmao man never sit down i learned that the hard way lol
my firts time hittin a jump i flwe off and did a big superman but luckly i stayed on but yah never sit down jumping. why would u pull n the clutch before hitting jumps? ur supposed to rev before u hit the lip of the jump so u can go n the air evenly and land evenly.

RS1441

Jun 18, 2006
matto_69 said:
lmao man never sit down i learned that the hard way lol
my firts time hittin a jump i flwe off and did a big superman but luckly i stayed on but yah never sit down jumping. why would u pull n the clutch before hitting jumps? ur supposed to rev before u hit the lip of the jump so u can go n the air evenly and land evenly.

yea i have never sat down doing jumps just some vid i saw with some guy saying to sit down and lean forward but i couldn't see that working for me but my bike stays pretty even i can land on 2 or back wheel depending what i am landing on. i suppose i pull in the clutch from bad past experience when i hit a jump and i hit the throttle back causing my self to wheelie and come so close to going of the back of my bike. With the clutch in up the ramp that wont happen but i suppose i should start doing more jumps with out the clutch in. just feel i like i wont slam the throttle on landing if i land hard or somthing and my hand moves down i dont wanna end up going over the back:whoa:

RS1441

Jun 18, 2006
Okiewan said:
What you saw was a seat bounce... used by EXPERIENCED jumpers to get lift to clear a jump when they don't have enough run-up, like out of a turn.

Stay (standing) in a neutral or slightly forward postion and use STEADY throttle. Don't try to blip it on the lip.

my main fear is when i land i throttle it because i land hard and jerk back and wheelie but it takes practice i guess thanks for the helps guys will try it next run on my bike

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I used to have the problem of landing on the throttle and having the bike pull away from me, now I am much better at gripping with my knees, and sometimes it helps to do a small wheelie when you land, like when there is a big hole right in front of your front wheel. Absolutely, listen to Okie. You could also check aout the Gary Semics Jumping video, I haven't seem it yet, but I expect it will tell you the same, and show you too.

RS1441

Jun 18, 2006
next time i go out (prob next weekend) i will try to practice going over them with the gas on constantly instead of using the clutch when i shouldn't :whoa:

Jun 27, 2006
You realy need to have the back wheel spinning with the clutch out, it's all about the whole balancing thing. If you ever need to spin the wheel to bring the back back down so you want endo you'll have to let off the on the clutch, now since you've had the clutch in, the engine is going to be at an idle and letting the clutch back out will slow the back wheel way up causing the back end to rapidly come up, bad situation.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I missed this one before, but...

Going over a jump with the clutch pulled in is asking for a trip over the bars. Most jumps will kick the back end of the bike up in the air a bit when taking off. if you are steady and consistently on the gas up the jump face, that will counteract that.

In general, the harder you are on the gas, the farther forward you should be, and the farther/higher you will go.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
sikair said:
I just got a new kx100 and still geting used to it. Anyone have any advice for jumping?

1. Start on tabletops, no doubles.

2. Start by taking the jumps at slow speeds and see which way they throw you. If you constantly are landing on your back tire, move your weight forward before you hit the jump.

In my experience whatever happens to you at slow speeds while going off a jump is going to happen x 10 when you go at full speed. This isn't always true, but it is a good general rule.

Understand / Practice how to shift your weight while in the air to bring the bike up or down.

Finally, make sure your suspension is in good condition. Jumping with a bad suspension setup would be like attempting to learn how to take a corner with bald tires :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom