kawasaki kd80 cases not going together

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Well, I finally got a bike for the kids..(cough cough, errr well okay it is also to serve duty as a pit bike)

.being who I am I got a '86 KD80 from fleabay, mostly because it was green. LOL..(I am a vintage Kaw person) anyway, I split the cases because there was a broken sleeve on the end of the clutch input.

Now just to put it out there, Ive been thru many many cases in my time, never had any trouble. Freeze one half, put the other half in the oven, that sort of thing.

For one thing, this bike had a shift drum that was bolted into the middle case with a retainer, so instead of putting all of the innards in the left case and dropping the center case on, I had to put all the gears into the center case and drop the left case. Thats different for me, everything else from my numerous vintage Kaws, to my 93 KX250 was the other way.

(I was hoping this thing would be the same inside as my old '75 MC1 but its very different...the MC was all up, this one is one down 4 up...)

So, This thing is hanging up with about 1 inch all the way around...the crank is not engaging yet, it seems its sticking on something near the shift drum. (however I can see the shift drum and its not quite touching the case yet.)

Soft blows with a rubber hammer get me a solid ringing sound like its stopping cold on something. Anybody run into any issues like this? Any ideas on what it could be? The shafts for the shifter forks fit well, and I took some things out one by one until I got a change, and the only thing that seemed to make a difference was when i removed the output (counter) shaft. Then I could feel the crank start to engage and the case went a little lower but I didnt want to assemble it without the countershaft of course.

So why on earth would the countershaft keep it? Come to think of it, when the case is dropping on and stopping, the input and the countershaft gets tight on the other side where it comes thru, you cant turn it with your hand anymore. SO there is some pressure on the countershaft, but it will fit thru easily if I just take the coutner shaft out and slip it thru the left case...so its not hanging up on the actual hole its supposed to exit...

Im rambling, but heck just typing it out is giving me some ideas! Feel free to add your own!
:yikes:

Top Bottom