KDX 175, is this really worth the headache?

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
Sorry, but I love this bike as much as anyone and I'm wondering if this "love" is the problem.

I have modern bikes that I race regularly and bring the KDX out for trail rides, and get a kick out of keeping up with my fast friends on their modern bikes (in the right conditions) on the old bike. But there's always something that goes wrong. And when it does, it is expensive, takes weeks to figure out the problem, find the rare, expensive parts, and get it going again.

Give me a reason why I should continue on with this! It quit running today and left me with nothing to ride 250 miles from home while the rest of my friends continued riding all day on their modern bikes. I had to go home and I am not wanting to go through this again.

How do you guys use your vintage bikes? For special events or short rides only? Can they be expected to complete a weekend of long woods loops? I love the old green bikes but am about to give up.

Its like an old dog, should you pay the vet $5000 to keep it alive another 6 months or just put it down? :yell:

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
My 1986 KDX 200C1 seems to be as reliable as my 2003 KDX 220. I always keep track of the hours that I have put on the engine and do regular basic maintenance after every ride and at recommended intervals. I don't think that my bike has ever left me stranded anywhere over the last 20 some odd years. The crank has been rebuilt twice, the barrel has been replated once and a new piston goes in every so often. There have never been any electrical or carb problems so far.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
I ride my '90 KDX everywhere and trust it to always bring me home. Yeah, it isn't really considered a "classic" but it is a 20 year old bike! Anyways, it has never failed to get me home. I just do normal maintenance to it and I ride the living hell out of it. The only problem I have ever had was the water pump seal and I still made it home with no overheating. I have about 200 hours on in the last year! Great bikes I tell ya!

Now, I'm kind of curious why your bike would be breaking down all the time? I mean, KDX's are legendary in their reliability and durability. Are you just not paying it the attention that your other bikes get?

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
What year is your KDX 175? It seems like the 200's and 220's are known more for their reliability.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
There comes a time when the old has to make way for the new(er). I think it's about the riding rather than the nostalgia. It's all good to spend time and money on an old bike provided you get the value back in riding enjoyment, but frustration is no way to be repaid for your effort. If it's causing you too much grief then I'd flick it and buy a 200. Or even better would be a hybrid like HRDROKN's. :nod:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
A friend of mine has a kdx175, and it's a sick little bike. If I had other bikes to ride, and wasn't hurting for money, I'd keep the old 175 around to tinker with, and show up some friends as you've said you like to do. Being a more rare bike, and not sharing many parts with anything else, I'm sure it can be difficult and frustrating when repairs are needed. I guess it really depends on how much you like the bike.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Bring two bikes. One vintage playbike, one backup bike (maybe another vintage, or maybe something mid range like a 95 KDX-200 or even an XR-200 or something).

Another bike to keep running and pack for the trip, but when one of your buddies new bikes blows out a fork seal or head gasket, they will appreciate having a backup bike as well.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
reepicheep said:
Bring two bikes. One vintage playbike, one backup bike (maybe another vintage, or maybe something mid range like a 95 KDX-200 or even an XR-200 or something). Another bike to keep running and pack for the trip, but when one of your buddies new bikes blows out a fork seal or head gasket, they will appreciate having a backup bike as well.
Even better is to have one of your buddies buy a nice, newer backup bike to share......

To the OP: sound like it's time to spring for a clean, well-cared-for 2005/2006 KDX200/220. You'll love it even more. :cool:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sounds like it is time to let the 175 go, and pick up an '89. It's still from the '80's, and the stators don't seem to go bad as often as they do on the '88 and earlier.

Take an '89, add fresh rubber, leaner jets, some cartridge fork emulators, stiffer fork springs, a steering damper, and an FMF pipe, and you'll be keeping up with those modern bikes over an even wider range of conditions. With much improved reliability over the 175.

Another reliable old KDX is the '91 - '94 250, but it takes even more work to set one up right. The magazines HATED the 250 back in the day, and stone stock it is heavy, has horrible forks, a poor riding position and way way way too rich jetting. Which makes it all the more sweet when you pass one of your buddies on his new bike, lol.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I would sell the bike. Personally, my time is too valuable to ride a bike that is not reliable. I agree that the nostalgia thing is cool, but only if you have a backup ready every time you ride.

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
Sell the bike and buy a 2000 or newer kdx 200. You'll still be in the KDX family, but with a lot less of the headache.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Acblind said:
Sell the bike and buy a 2000 or newer kdx 200. You'll still be in the KDX family, but with a lot less of the headache.

Why 2000 or newer? The only difference in the 2000 and a 1995 are graphics and plastic colors. A pristine 95 would be a better buy than a clapped out 2000.

For a used KDX, buy on condition, not year model.

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
i just threw out a number. I run a 95 and love it, never had any problems and runs like a champ

Top Bottom