MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Kidney Stones UPDATE!

Well I sat in a hotel room this past Thursday feeling like death was surely right around the corner. Flew home Friday and had Aimee take me to the emergency room first thing Saturday morning. After about 4 hours, 2 IV's, A shot to fight infection and possibly the most traumatic event of my life (a shot for pain) I was on my way to the pharmacy for percecet and an antibiotic. I am the proud owner of a kidney stone :yikes: I'm sure 'stoney' has been with me for awhile as he is all of 5 millimeters in diameter. Doc says there is little chance of him passing in the normal manner (that might be a good thing). Sunday was pretty uneventful except for the wonderful peeing in a container and straining it 20 times. It's now Monday morning and the urologist is apparently too busy to see me today. "Do you have something for the pain to get you through until tomorrow?" the nice lady says. I may have been rude in my reply.

I gotta tell you about this shot for pain. I don't remember what it was called but it started with "Di". I was sitting up when she stuck the needle in the IV. Within a second or two I felt a ring of fire around my stomach and it quickly started moving up towards my head. Quite alarmed I started to say "Is this supposed to..." - that's all I got out before I fell backwards onto the bed. The next few minutes were surreal as the heat overwhelmed me, I became so short of breath that I couldn't utter a sound. Tears were flowing out of both eyes (really flowing) and my entire body was shaking. Aimee of course freaked out pretty good and was attempting to talk to me but alas I was getting my own little freak on. I told the Doc I didnt know what that was but I didn't think we needed to do that again....EVER.

So here I sit waiting 1 more day until 'stoney' get ultrasonically blasted to bit and we part ways.

I did get out of my trip to PA this week though ;)

UPDATE: Luckey me. I thought it was very clear that today was going to be the end of this. Apparently the stone is too far down for the Doc's liking so tomorrow they are going to shove a tube up me and push it back to a better spot. They will then blast away at it and then yank the string that is to be attached to previously mentioned string to remove the tube. Today my right nut feels like I just got racked. You know the kind of pain that makes your eyes roll back in your head and makes you sick to your stomach :bang: except it doesn't go away. The only good news today is that he said they will also take care of the 'other stoney' that isn't presently causing problems and he also mentioned a drug that will keep others from forming. This Doc says that 'stoney' is actually 5.5 mm lol, like that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Dang Ed that doesn't sound like ANY fun buddy! So I guess we can call you a "stoner" now?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Wowsers that is a scary experience with that an injection, did they figure it was allergy related? Hope everything works out to the least painful resolution for ya!

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Glad to hear you are okay!! Getting a phone call on saturday morning saying "Eddie is in the ER" is never a good way to start the weekend. Fortunately, it wasn't something horrible, (I know, I know, kidney stones are nothing to sneeze at) just a little case of the stoners. 5mm? Yeaooooch! I didn't bother to take any measurements of anything, but WOW, I would NOT want to pass that sucker!! You could put an eye out! :yikes:

Talk to you soon.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Rooster said:
5mm? Yeaooooch! I didn't bother to take any measurements of anything, but WOW, I would NOT want to pass that sucker!!

No kidding. I'm sure 5mm will feel like 5 inches when it passes. Talk about new math!

Anyway. Heal-up fast Ed.

BTW, what excuse did the ER doc give you for the reaction to the "pain-killer"? Sounds like the pain killer gave you killer pain.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Get well soon, Mr.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The reaction to the pain shot was not an allergic reaction. The doc says that people who never use any kind of pain meds (not even aspirin or tylenol) can be very sensitive to the really good stuff. The shot didn't actually cause pain, but it was overpowering to say the least, no idea where all the tears came from.

Doc says there is almost no chance of passing '5mm stoney' so I guess that might be a good thing. Passing all the 'little stoney's' might be another thing.

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
I'm doing my clinical study as a radiography (x-ray) student and have seen the process used to break up the stones. It's kinda cool; they lay you on your back on the table, and wheel in this chest high machine (called a lithotripter) with a "balloon" about the size of a canataloupe sticking out on it, and place the balloon against your skin above the stone. There's an electrode inthe balloon (which looks alot like a spark plug, and in fact pretty much acts like one). The balloon fills up with a 6:1 premix of water and saline, as they put you to sleep. Then everybody puts on hearing protectors (someone will put them on the patient too), and they start the magic. It sounds like a firecracker going off as the spark goes off, and the concussion waves travel though the balloon and into your body, focused at the stone. Kind of like your side being a cylinder head, with the shock wave acting a piston. This will last about 45 minutes to an hour, about 1 spark every half second or so. It will leave quite a sore spot on the patient, and some patients will start to bleed towards the end of the treatment. And even then the stone isn't guaranteed to be broken up, but most likely it will be. Overall, its a cool thing to observe, and a neat way to take on the problem of kidney stones.
Hope everything goes good for you, and get well soon. :)

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I skimmed RedRyder's post and it seems we could save you some cash... I'll pull the plug outta someone's 'lectric start katoom, you bend over & we'll get aimee to stick it up ye ol mine shaft... I'll push the button & let the healin' begin! When you feel like it's good & broke up, you cough twice & I'll shut it off. Doesn't someone have a helmet cam? We may want to check & see if there aren't any other stones up there worth blastin. You want lube, or do you prefer dry firing?

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
my boss gets kidney stones 5or 6 times a year since he was a teenager. they have gotten to the point where theyare so large that they can no longer be blasted( the last surgury was to remove an 11mm stone.) he says the preasure on his kidney's and bladder is so intence that when he passes a stone, its like a shot gun firing. to this day they still cant figure out what is causing them, and its been ongoing for over 20 years. my dad had a stone and now he takes medication daily to prevent any more from forming . good luck and get well soon. try casing a tripple , the stone might breakup, and if it doesnt you'll have another kind of pain to take your mind off the stone.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Rooster said:
Glad to hear you are okay!! Getting a phone call on saturday morning saying "Eddie is in the ER" is never a good way to start the weekend.

Yeah that was pretty crappy. Get well soon Eddie, I don't even want to imagine the pain you're in. Any idea what caused the stone? I've been told time and time again you can get them from dehydration, so drinks lots of fluids (no, beer doesn't count ;) ).

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
zio said:
I skimmed RedRyder's post and it seems we could save you some cash... I'll pull the plug outta someone's 'lectric start katoom, you bend over & we'll get aimee to stick it up ye ol mine shaft... I'll push the button & let the healin' begin! When you feel like it's good & broke up, you cough twice & I'll shut it off. Doesn't someone have a helmet cam? We may want to check & see if there aren't any other stones up there worth blastin. You want lube, or do you prefer dry firing?

Zio, They're going to need to fit that KTM electric starter to Aimee's new horse! :)

Feel better Eddie!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Geeze - all this just to get outta a week of work? :ohmy:

Hope you get 'er blasted and feel better soon, Eddog!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Senior KX Rider said:
Hope everything works out
I don't think that's something to look forward to, lol.
Take 'er easy Eddie!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
nepron should chime in soon and tell us all the best way to avoid these very painfull things.If he doesnt know we can ignore all technical advice he gives in the future;)

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I'm grateful that I've gone 26 years without a kidney stone. My mom has worked in a hospital laboratory for 27 years. I went up to meet her for lunch a few years ago and in a bucket on one of the tables were some kidney stones. These were no ordinary kidney stones. One was about the size of a baseball, a couple of golf ball size ones, and numerous other ones that ranged in size from microscopic to dime size. She said that the person that had them could feel them clacking together in his bladder and she didn't know how he put up with it for so long. They were surgically removed of course! I didn't even know a bladder was that big. I think the guy was really obese too. Crazy.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
That's gotta hurt.

I have been told that you should start drinking cranberry juice and you will never worry about it again.
I've heard that some urologists have recently poo-pooed the cranberry juice thing...but I know a few folks and their docs who swear by it.

Get well soon!

Top Bottom