Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
I was getting ready to purchase a used KLX300 and found out that there are two known issues with this bike.

1. slips into neutral from second gear
2. idler gear problems

Anyone experience/hear of anything about this?

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Yes & yes...go to www.planetklx.com and under the tech tips is a good pic of an idler gear gone bad.

My KLX finds false nuetrals sometimes. I purchased Strokers kit to fix this problem. Under the tech tips on PlanetKLX.com is a 'Shift Star Fix' that shows a good play by play on how to install Strokers kit.

Matt

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
yup mcassle is right.both the problems are easily fixed ,like dcw said most bikes the suspenders need to b set up for ur weight.no biggie :)

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
The oem valves are suspect as well.
There are options that work and if you go to the source you will get a better price.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
The intakes and exhausts will errode, cup, and go out of adjustment quickly.
SS replacements will last a few seasons.
I used to manufacture these items for stroker.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I switched from stock 5 weight fork oil to 7.5 and it seemed to balance the suspension. I also ground the shifting star myself with no problems.

KLXfrank

Apr 14, 2002
There have been times when my bike simply refuses to start. I end up totally winded from kicking it, rolling it, pushing it, etc... I end up putting the bike away, not having ridden it at all, and I go back inside too exhausted to even stand up! I hate Kawasaki for this...my bike is a 2000, and they have known about this problem for years & done nothing. I should have bought a TTR250.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
KLXFrank

I don't know about the rest of the KLX300 owners on DRN, but I can start my KLX first kick about 90% of the time. If I dump the bike & it's hot outside, such as summer time, then I hope that I'm at the top of a hill so I can just bump start it.

My bike is pretty much stock, so I follow Kawasaki's starting routine: find first resistence, pass through it. Find second, go 30 degrees past, then put the kickstarter all the way to the top. Kick like you mean it, and that's it. Don't forget to turn the choke off if you have the stock carb.

Matt

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Re: KLXFrank

Originally posted by MCassle
I don't know about the rest of the KLX300 owners on DRN, but I can start my KLX first kick about 90% of the time.

Ditto.

KLXfrank, if your bike is that hard to start, something has to be wrong, IMO. Of course I'm no expert and can't offer you any suggestions, but the bike just shouldn't be that hard to start. Mine is a very easy starter - hot, cold, or somewhere in between.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i'm w jimmy no way that's right frank.pos things to consider,A needs a valve adj.B the carb is not set up properly.C are u twisting the throttle w a pumper carb, not the thing to do i'm told?D turn the idle up a bit?wish i knew what to tell ya ,just some ideas.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
KLXfrank, curious if you're coming from a 2 stroke or perhaps street bikes. The starting drill is important on any kick start thumper, since they only fire on every other revolution. The KLX can be one of the easier ones to start since it has an automatice decompression system (as does the new Honda CRF). However, you have to know when it's on the compression/power stroke or you'll just be kicking it for no reason. If you can't figure out the drill, have someone show it to you who knows kickstart thumpers since it's a lot easier to see than explain in words.

Last edited:

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by DougRoost
The KLX can be one of the easier ones to start since it has manual decompression.

I think you mean automatic compression release? ;) Good pic & description on page 4-11 of the service manual.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Thanks, you're right -- I was trying to say it didn't have a manual compression relaese to worry about. I fixed it in my reply above so there is no confusion.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
My first guess if the bike has been ridden a lot is the valves need adjustment. Some KLX's have come off the assembly line with mismatched valve shims. And I got a report from a trusted source that they got a batch of poorly heat treated valves in the 2000 year model(I had one). 2nd guess is starting technique. But I believe Frank has had this bike awhile.

thumper1

Jun 8, 2000
valves

Ive been having problems with the valves also. Do alot of kicking and once you have manually warmed the engine the bike will start. Got the valves adjusted & it starts right up but now they need replacing. If you do alot of hard riding or used to ride a 2 stroke you may consider a different bike. The klx valves are not made to be ridden hard.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Stoker sells some stainless steel valves, anyone had any experience with them? I've never suspected the valves on my KLX, & they've only been adjusted once.

What are some signs that the valves need replacing?

Matt

DaveKLX

Apr 27, 2007
KLXFRANK I totally sympathise with you.
I bought a 2000 model last year with only 1160klms never been off road and looked like it just came from the bike shop. It starts ok most of the time when its cold but if it stalls whilst warm it's a 20 to 30 kick performance. I have put up with this for a year, until 2 weeks ago when after stalling it at the top of a sand hill and the kick start idler gear stripped

Top Bottom