kevinjtatro

Oct 30, 2002
I'm 42, 5'7" 180 lbs, Haven't ridden in 15 yrs. Used to be crazed on RM 125, KDX 250, IT 175. Broken most bones in my body. I've got great insurance and the kids are older, so the only problem is the wife. I'm looking at the KTM 200 exc. Is this the best choice? I'll be riding woods/powerlines in CT and Mass. I want something that handles well, and I've always hated four strokes, they lacked the crazy power of the two strokes. Love the hydrolic clutch ion the KTM. Can't find a WR250, I hear rhat's a great bike. xr450 seems too bulky and it's a four. Reviews say KDX is underpowered. Does Suzuki even make a trail bike? It's late in the season, is it worth waiting to get a 2003 over the 2002. Any suggestions

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I've come to the conclusion that any reasonable bike is the right choice. So YZ125, KTM 200, KX250, you'll love any of them to death.

I don't know that it's worth it to wait for an '03. I have a '98, and think it's the greatest thing since bread pudding. Or is that rice pudding? Pudding cups? But I digress. The point is my '98 is considered way outdated and it still works great for me. There's no hydraulic clutch, it has the first generation PDS linkageless suspension. I could care less, and I've ridden the newer ones.

I do think you'll love the 200, they're great bikes. That'd be on the top of my list if I had $$$ to blow. They are more nimble than regular 250's, but really, unless you're switching back to back, you';ll adapt to whatever you buy.

DirtRydin

Apr 17, 2002
Hey Zio,
How do u like you 98' 250? Im thinking about buying a 98' KTM 250exc. On the 98's is the suspension good? Was there any recalls? How bout the power of the bike?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
The only recall I know of is for the rear shock. The power is great- smooth & strong, without the "hit" of 250 MXers, but plenty of low-end grunt. I love the suspension. It's plush, but still can handle big hits (square edge bumps, ledges at 20 mph) well. It even holds its own on a track (with me, though, that means rolling anything but tables). I'd prefer the wide ratio tranny of the EX/C to my MX/C, however.

Ask for a close-up pic of the heim joint. Mine has been worn down quite a bit by the mud guard. If there's any visible wear on it, I'd question the 12-15 hours he claims. Seriously, mine has been worn down a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If you want I'll e-mail you a pic. Scary!!!

I've only owned mine since April, but I've put lots of hard miles on it since. All I've done is change the air filter & oil regularly. I saw that '98, & it sure is clean looking. The only thing I've added is a softer seat & some handguards. And mine also has a newer style front fender & plastic fork guards instead of boots. The only other thing I might consider is adding a hydraulic clutch.

Good luck!

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
KDX underpowered? Not at all. Especailly after you add a $175 ProCircuit pipe. That is one of (if not THE best) the best trails bikes made. And you can get 250 power out of the KDX220 without spending a lot of money.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
The KTM likes to be revved higher than the Gas Gas 200 or KDX 200. For more technical sections these other two bikes may be better for a rider getting back in to the sport. The Gas Gas is the best of all worlds with a good bottom through top. A fully Fredette Racing modified KDX has more power than a KTM on the dyno through the rev range till the top of the curve. A modified KDX is cheaper than a Gas Gas or KTM but the chassis is superior on the euro bikes. Personally I would pick a Gas Gas 200 EC as the best choice because it gives you the best of a KDX and KTM. The KTM would be the second choice if you get fast in a hurry. The KDX is the hands down bargain. Heavy fork springs, pipe, and porting will make it a new bike and you can find them slightly used for cheap. They are all great bikes and none should be discarded from your considerations. You could also find a 250 or 300 KTM/Gas Gas. The only trade would be a little slower handling.

Top Bottom