Aug 27, 2004
Hidey from the new guy. I'm picking up an '04 KTM 200 EXC tomorrow morning. I haven't been on a bike in over 10 years, but the bug never left. My last one was an '89 KDX 200. Anyone care to opine on what I can expect from the KTM? From what i've read here the 200 EXC's are right awesome machines. I've had sport bikes (street) so I recall what fast is. :~) Thanks.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
being an old guy, I've owned (and raced) lots of dirt bikes dating back to the 1960's, including a couple of your former - kdx 200's.
I can tell you that the KTM 200EXC is still my all time favorite. Yes there are others that I really like too but if I could only have one, it'd be the 200EXC.
have fun with your new bike!

Aug 27, 2004
Thanks for the tips guys. I got it home sitting in the garage. I haven't been on a bike in a while, so i'll be taking it easy 'till I get the feel for it again. Very cool looking bikes definitely, and they sound wicked. I got kind of a dumb question....Which way, on the petcock, is the fuel turned off? Is it pointing straight out, or w/ the tab turned so it's pointing toward the back of the machine? It doesn't seem obvious like on the other bikes i've owned that your looking straight at the valve, and it's clearly labeled. Thanks again. Never thought i'd own a Ka-toom. It's purty cool.

Tony.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
the fuel is on when the valve is pointed towards the fuel line or carb, it's off when pointed towards the back of the bike and it's on reserve when pointed out away from the bike.
this is on my 04 200EXC, I just looked to verify. the earlier valves were different but almost always pointed to the fuel line when on.
I forgot before: you might also want to put loc-tite on your shift lever bolt (especially if you need to adjust the lever height) or at the very least check it often if it hasn't been loc-tited, they've been know to come loose.

Aug 27, 2004
Thanks Katoom, i'll check it out. I don't think I have it in the off position. I noticed on all of the KTM's in the shop, the shift lever is higher than the Japaneses bikes. The KX's, etc. were almost level w/ the footpeg, where all the KTM's were up much higher. Any reason for this?

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
flatpickingfiend said:
Thanks Katoom, i'll check it out. I don't think I have it in the off position. I noticed on all of the KTM's in the shop, the shift lever is higher than the Japaneses bikes. The KX's, etc. were almost level w/ the footpeg, where all the KTM's were up much higher. Any reason for this?

I think they think we have big feet/thick boots, maybe. Usually I have to lower mine to even with the peg or close to that and yes it does often lightly hit the frame after a while. With the thicker boots (ie; my new tech 6's) you can have it a bit higher but with my old (thin) highpoint boots i like it a little lower - even with the peg.
It's all what feels comfortable to you!

Aug 27, 2004
You guys are a bunch of help. I sure appreciate all the feedback. Whew, hope I don't have a problem like the 250 in the other thread, that's kinda scary. The shop suggested Golden Spectro mixed at 32:1. That sound ok to ya'll? I also noticed they make a synthetic and a regular version. Is the upcharge on the synthetic worth the extra cost? They said the KTM's are jetted really good for this area of the country (WV), and I think the factory sag setting should suffice for me (I weigh around 155-160 pounds).

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
flatpickingfiend said:
You guys are a bunch of help. I sure appreciate all the feedback. Whew, hope I don't have a problem like the 250 in the other thread, that's kinda scary. The shop suggested Golden Spectro mixed at 32:1. That sound ok to ya'll? I also noticed they make a synthetic and a regular version. Is the upcharge on the synthetic worth the extra cost? They said the KTM's are jetted really good for this area of the country (WV), and I think the factory sag setting should suffice for me (I weigh around 155-160 pounds).

If your sag is reasonably close, ride the bike at least 150 to 200 miles for the suspension to break in, then check and set it, do not rely on factory being correct for any weight. Proper handling is worth the effort.
From my experience the synthetic pre-mix oils are well worth the extra cost - Golden Spectro offers excellent lubrication but the regular stuff is "dirty". I found much less cleaning of powervalves and ring jobs necessary when I switched to the synthetic stuff and I'll never use the regular stuff again. As for ratios I use 50:1 after break in and have never had a problem with this ratio. If I was racing moto with wide open throttle all the time It'd be different - then I'd run the 32:1 ratio, but I ride woods and Hare scrambles where you are on and off throttle, not running wide open for extended periods.
As for jetting: run it a while and then determine how close it is - check power delivery and spark plug condition. I also prefer to run race gas (110oct) and pump premium mixed 50/50 which makes jetting less of an issue.
Gear oil I use a 80-90 weight standard gear lube from wal-mart or where ever (don't let the 80/90 weight scare you, it's like a 30 wt. motor oil thickness), it works great, been using it for years -- in winter (below 32 degrees) I run ATF in the tranny, again no problems with clutch or tranny gears

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Awesome choice. My lil' girly bike does well for me, when I can stay on it.

While you're tightening/loctite-ing stuff, be sure to keep an eye on the kickstarter bolt, brake pedal bolts, and handlebar bolts. Just about everything in fact.
Pick up an Enduro Engineering clutch cylinder guard for down on the engine, in front of the chain.
Have fun :)

motomickey

May 9, 2002
If you're new to KTMs and want more information you might want to look at KTMtalk.com. DRN is a fantastic site, but there is more coverage on KTMtalk. Both can save you lots of time and money.

Aug 27, 2004
Thanks again for all the replies. I have a lot to learn I suppose, and alot of stuff on the bike to go over to get it just right. I just took my first spin on it. Whew, that thing is pretty fast for a 200. If memory serves me, I'd say it would eat a KDX no problem. I was just putting along at about 1/8th throttle, and you give it a little more, and WHAM!, its on the pipe right now. I hadn't had a chance to ride it until today and I couldn't take it anymore, so I took it down a secondary road (blacktop) for a short jaunt. I got it good and warmed up on the way down, then on the way back I opened it up a little, and I was surprised to look down and see that I was moving in excess of 70 mph. Yikes. This ain't no playbike by any means. It doesn't seem to have a sudden hit anywhere like some of the older MX bikes i've had, rather it's always there when you need it. My first seat time in over 10 years....it was exciting. :~) Anybody have any ideer how much horsepower these engines put out?

Top Bottom