aherrig05

Nov 8, 2006
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with me kick start. I have a '97 KTM 360 EXC and the kickstart was real hard to kick over for awhile and it cause me to have some serious bruises from trying to start it, but the other day I kicked it off and the engine fired up for a second, then there was a loud bang and it shut off. I tried to kick it again, and now the kick start has no resistance at all. I can move the lever freely down and back up again but it doesn't feel like it's connected to anything inside. I'm afraid to take it apart because I'm not too knowledgable about these kick starts and I don't want to screw it up anymore. Does anybody know what might be happening? If so, is it something I could attempt to fix, or something best left to professionals? ANy help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
go to bike bandit and use there parts finder look it up -
it is a lil different from the japanese machenes , its a internal spring tension style
not hard at all though
you sure its the kick starter thats broke? can you turn it over with the rear wheel?
or is there some thing else thats broke,?
rod/piston?

MX GZR

Nov 8, 2001
Put the bike in gear and roll it enough to move the crankshaft about a half turn or so. If you can now kick it over you have broken teeth on the clutch hub where the kickstart idler gear meets. This is caused by wear in the case half where the idler gear shaft sits. There is no support on the outer end of this shaft so when you kick it it trys to move up and wallows out the hole. The quick fix-buy a new clutch hub(you can't get just the gear,at least not for a 96). The correct fix? Clutch hub, idler gear, gear shaft, and new case half. BUTTTT you can't get just one half. :bang: You are looking at about $1500 in parts. :yikes: This happened to me with my 96 I hope your problem turns out to be something else as this is a design flaw they need to fix. It's why I now ride a Yamaha.

Top Bottom