The^^Rock

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2002
Hey all,

Im having some real problems deciding between these two.  Im planning on getting a new 450 4 stoke in the next month or so.  I have always been a Honda boy, and I was set on a CRF.  That was until the other day when I good friend got himself a 450SX.  Those things are so nice.  And the fact is for the same price as the CRF I can get the KTM, and it has all the extra's on it has really got me thinking if my Honda brand loyality is enough. 

I currently ride an 03CR250, im 18, and 6 foot tall.

Any pro's and cons's of either bike? 

Thanks all, having some real trouble here!

Jim :)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
What type of riding will yo ube doing. Just MX or will you throw some trails in too?

What is your budget like? Are you planning on adding anything after the purchase (i.e. taller seat is a good option for a 6 footer and the CRF)?

Ivan

The^^Rock

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2002
I will be riding roughly 3/4 trails and 1/4 MX.   I have $5000 AUS saved, so after the sale of my CR I will be able to afford a new bike.   I don't plan un adding anything to either bike, except maybe a skidplate and bars if I go the way of the Honda.

Thanks

James

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
How are the dealers in your area? Basically, both bikes are great. I think if you pick the dealer that treats you the best after the sale then you shouldn't have any issues about your purchase.

Ivan

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
The Crf does a decent job in the trails. The power is pretty smooth, but I find the suspension to be stiffer than I like on the roots and rocks. I Would look into the Ktm exc or mxc models The mxc model is basically a carbon copy of the sx model only with a larger fuel tank, flywheel weight, and more forgiving suspension. The exc is the full blown off-road model w/ everything listed on the mxc, but with wide ratio transmission, working lights, odometer, and an 18in. wheel. I know you stated that you do some mx, but both the mxc, and the exc have enough bottoming resistance to do some decent moto. I really like my Crf, but I have to be honest my next bike will be purpose built. Converting a mx bike over to off-road is expensive, and alot of times still not as good as a bike specifically built for off-road as I have found out. :| Good luck and I hope you find the right bike for you.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by flynbryan
my next bike will be purpose built

After looking at the GG300 the other day I'm thinking I'm going to go that route next time. This is my last year racing a full MX series and although I'll still play on the MX track I won't need an MX bike for what I do.

Ivan

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Ivan I feel ya man. I sooo wish I had off-road valved suspension. As you know I've now dropped the spring rates front and rear, the rear feels pretty good, but the forks still transmit too much feed back for me. I'm going to swap around some shims next time I have the fork apart, and if that doesn't help I'm probably going to get that mid-valve conversion kit. I know this is a little off topic, but I think it might give some of these guys a good idea as to whats involved with converting an Mxer' .

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I agree. I definately enjoyed my YZ250F in the woods more (which has a mid-valve). However, why did you drop the spring rate? Was it to support a lighter weight rider (you are puny :) )? I went to stiffer springs with the YZ250F and it was really good in the woods and just a small adjustment of clickers and it was great on the track too.

Ivan

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
The mxc model is basically a carbon copy of the sx model only with a larger fuel tank, flywheel weight, and more forgiving suspension.

The KTM450sx has a COMPLETELY different motor than the mxc or exc...it has a different bore and stroke, a different head design, etc. Although the displacements are the same, they got there by different routes. The mxc/exc motors were enlarged by KTM combining the 520 crank with the 400 piston, which results in a long stroke/small bore mill. The 450 SX however, is a purpose built motocross motor fresh from the design table in many respects, and features a large bore/short stroke combo.

Top Bottom