jdukelow

Mar 19, 2001
I am considering purchasing a KTM 400 EX/C. Since starting my research, I have come across the new Husky TE450 and the Husaberg FE470, both electric start lightweight fourstrokes. Does anyone know how these three compare? (performance, reliability, dealer support, cost to maintain, etc.)

bud

Jun 29, 1999
It's difficult to compare a bike that isn't available yet like the husky. My bet is the husky will be worth waiting till January for :D.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
The KTM is the industry standard for racing 4s bikes and you can't go wrong with such a purchase. Like Bud said, it is hard to compare a bike that hasn't hit the showroom floors yet (Husky). Based on my previous experience with Husky products, the bike will perform very well, be extremely reliable, and be affordable. The Husaberg is made to go fast. People say that riding is 90% rider and 10% bike, the Husaberg maximizes that 10% to make the rider feel like a hero. If my goal was (still) to win races or get an advantage on my riding buddies, I would own a Husaberg fe501 (IMO the best woods/race bike made, period!). One caveat to that, the 'berg requires maintenance (ie. valve train). The 'berg is light, and to be so light, they had to leave out some metal.
If you maintain a lightweight racing 4s, it can be inexpensive to own, but if you ignore the engine or break it, they get very expensive in a hurry.
Don't rule out the VOR, DRN member weimedog is very pleased with his bike as are other owners that I've spoken with.
Dealer support depends upon your area.

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Let's not rule out the Cannondale, TM, and GasGas. I'm on my third Husky, though, and will probably go with the new Husky450. TM-enduro is right about maintaining racing 4s. Husaberg and KTM are "high" maintenance. Where-as, if the new Husky is anything like the last three I've owned, they will most likely require less maintenance, while lasting a little longer;) Just my opinion though.

I would have to input on TM-Enduros' opinion on the rider/bike ratio...I would say that back in the 70s the ratio would be 90/10. But the bikes are just too go these days. I see more injuries out here, simply because the bike carries the rider almost too far. Again, my opinion.

Aloooha!:)
TrailTramp
98'87'73'Husky

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
My friend rides a 610 Husky and it has run forever despite him crashing and landing it upside down on a regular basis. They have a long heritage with four strokes. His brother in law has just bought the 400 Husaberg which looks either fantastic or weird depending on your taste. Husaberg has been bought by a company which has owned KTM for a while. A lot of parts on the Husa are KTM in disguise so they should be reliable. Husa had some problems with rectifiers on the 2001 400cc models. Husa had gone bust before KTM's owner stepped in. Thats all I know !

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Just curious, what are the reliability issues on the Husabergs? They look like neat motorcycles but I've heard a lot of horror stories about reliability. I see a lot of used bikes, ages 1996 and 1997 and thereabouts, for real reasonable prices and I'm curious about them.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Husqvarnas are very reliable and general cost less than any other brand named in this thread so far. Personally I'm all aflutter waiting for someone to actually do a hands on review of the new TE250/450s.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Husabergs

As the proud owner of 3 'Bergs, I can tell you a few things about them. I have the FC501 (motocross), the FX600 (electric start desert), and the FE 501 (enduro).

First off, maintainance is the key to longevity with these bikes. The oil capacity is only about a quart and that oil lubes the tranny and the bottom end. Change the oil and clean the filters every race or 8 hours and you will be fine. Wait longer and expect catastrophes. And use good, synthetic, 4-stroke oil.

Adjust the valves periodically. Not nearly as often as changing the oil, but every 1 - 2 months will be necessary for the first 6 mos. After that, expect to adjust 2x - 3x per year depending on the amount of riding you do. I try to ride every weekend for a few hours and once-a-month for a good, long ride.

As with most big-bores, these bikes eat rear tires. I can keep a tire for about 5 rides before it's nearly useless. It doesn't matter what terrain I ride or which type of tire I use - excluding sand dunes, as I don't ride them.

The newer (post '97) bikes have greatly improved oiling systems. This, along with the purchase by KTM has introduced much higher quality of machining and design into the 'Bergs. Unless you are sure or have very good mechanical skills, stay away from earlier bikes. Although, you can get some really good deals if you are willing to put some time and money into an earlier model.

Plastic is extremely expensive - I use KTM plastic wherever I can to save money. Most other parts are expensive also, but if you maintain your bike well, you shouldn't experience a failure rate any higher than another brand. In fact, my '96 still has the original seat cover, plastic, grips, and levers. My '98s are original, except where I replaced parts for higher performance or from a crash.

I just purchased an '02 KX500 that I have been riding 100% of the time. As such, I have loaned my '98 FC501 to a buddy for rides in the desert. I will say this: The 'Berg will blow my KX500 away after 3rd gear in a drag race. I have no idea what the top speed of either bike is, but when I'm WFO in 5th on my KX, my buddy will be at half throttle in 5th and still has another gear! The '98 FX600 will stomp the FC501 in a drag from 4th gear on. These are very powerful bikes and will scare the crap out of most people in a top-speed run.

Now, I don't want to start a pissng match, but unless you ride a track, the only STOCK bikes that will keep up with a well-tuned 'Berg are other Euro bikes. I'm not putting down the CRF or the YZF, but they, in my experience, are no competition IN THE DESERT or IN A DRAG RACE. And since I own a KX500 I can vouch for the open class 2-strokes of recent years, as well. They can't keep up.

The 'Bergs do handle different than the Japanese bikes and require some getting used to. They don't turn as quick, but if you get the hang of it, you can make it happen and stay in the lead. I've also found that for taller riders - 5'11" or taller - the 'Bergs feel a bit cramped. I'm only 5'9" so it doesn't bug me at all.

I love my 'Bergs, and if I was going to buy another 4-stroke for anything other than serious, competition MX or SX, I'd take a good look and a ride on a 'Berg before I bought anything else.

Just my .02

trewent

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2000
I owned a '96 FC400, now have '00 KTM 400 exc. I rode a'00 501 a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me that the Hus is a race bike and you have to be on it all the time, the KTM will putt along or honk, turns better, has better dealer support and resale. :confused:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by trewent
. . . has better dealer support . . . :confused:

Not here in Jax Fl, there are no KTM or Husky dealers. We have the 4 Jap bikes, Gas Gas and Vor. I have to get all my dealer support over the phone, but Summit in MO is very helpful whenever I call.

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Ghunter- Thanks for that info. When I purchased my 98'Husky "new" there was a brand new 97' Husaberg 350...? I think that was the year. Anyway - it's still there! It's been riden a couple times, but is pretty much cherry. Was wondering if you think it would be a decent purchase. I kinda feel bad for it. Graphics are all peeling off, and the aluminum is all oxidized. It needs someone to love it:(

Aloooooha!:)
TrailTramp
98'87'73'Husky

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I've no experience with the 350 but...

ToddHawaii,

It all depends on price. If you could get this for $2500 or less, it's a good deal. Otherwise, I'd stay away - particularly if you live in Hawaii. I don't know how hard it is for you to get parts for your Husky where you live, but I live in Southern California (parts heaven) and still have troubles getting anything for my '96 and '98s. BTW, 1996 was the last year for a 350, to the best of my knowledge. I'd verify the VIN if the dealer says it's a '97.

The smaller (350 and 400) 'Bergs are still great bikes, though probably a bit underpowered for me. I've never ridden one, but I've heard that these were less tolerant of trail riding than the larger-bore bikes. All in all, if you can get it for a good price it may be worth it to you. The changes in quality from '96 (before KTM bought them) through '98 (after KTM) are very apparent on my bikes, and they have only gotten better since then.

Just make sure you change that oil often!

Gregg

Last edited:

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Much obliged...

Aloooooooha!:)
TrailTramp
98'87'73'Husky
69'Sachs
Maybe Husaberg?

Top Bottom