firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I am looking at getting back into riding after taking a 5 year lay-off (married w/ kids). I rode 50/50 mx and woods on everything from a xr 250 to IT 175, IT 490(loved this bike) and CR 500. I will be more cautious now (see wife and kids) and want something low maintanence and easy to ride. I am looking at a '97 KTM 360 or a newer '01 KDX 220. I will be riding slow on the mx track with the kids and get it on in the woods with the guys. Any advice on helping make the decision would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a suggestion on another bike I would love the input. Price range is around $2500. Also I am 5'10 200lbs. (all muscle ...table muscle).

thanks

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
I also had an IT490 it was a nice bike but it took a reservation in advance if you wanted to make a turn. I would get the KDX if you are going putt around with the kids.
:ride:

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
kx 250,

You are right about the IT 490 handling, but that thing could pull any hill around. I know thd KDX would be totally reliable. I am just afraid it won't be enough bike.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
It's been my experience that 75% of used KTM's have been well ridden, or hammered to some extent. It is also my experience that you can often find a used KDX with very low hours, with very high dollar hop-ups, for a very cheap price. Sounds like a KDX would be a perfect bike for what you described. Just my 02.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I think the KDX may well meet all your needs as stated. The bikes are durable, cheap to maintain, and with some stiffer springs can handle most obstacles found on a natural terrain mx track.

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
If you are concerned that the KDX might not be enough bike then maybe a KX is in order. I have never had a KDX but I like my KX. Takes a few mods and parts to make it really woods friendly but nothing really special. I know what I don't like, and that is my 300 EXC on an MX track. Sort of like a bull in a barrel for me. Just the wrong application and the wrong bike.

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Firffighter,

I had a 20 year layoff...bought a 02 kdx 200, modded it out nicely, but at some point I knew I wanted and needed more in the suspension. I bought a KTM MXC 300 last January. Great bike, incredible linear power, 3 stroke if you wilI, and you can lug the bike around all day, however if you hit the throttle and you're not paying attention, you better be aiming for the moon, or pray that you land on some soft ground. The bike is a 250 on steroids...battin' about .900...yep it's like that. I use to ride 250's and open class bikes, so maybe that's where the urge came from. Nevertheless, the KDX is a great bike, stone cold reliable, and with the right finesse will get you through most situations -- sometimes I wish I had still had, just in case I needed some back up. I liken KTM to a porsche, and the KDX to a caddy/lincoln/...Strawberry or vanilla? It's your choice. I don't think you can wrong with either, but I'd rather be racing with my KTM and casual trail riding with kiddies on a KDX. If pick you KTM however, I'd look at the 99 EXC/MXC 250/300 and up -- I don't know where you live, but you can totally pick up a 99 or newer KTM 2500 bucks. I paid $1500 for a pristine 98 MXC 300 with new tires, o ring chain, applied triple clamps, revalved suspension by dicks racing, extra PC exhaust, manuals, new brakes, and plastics. Check **** and ecea.org. Good luck.

John

John

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
thanks DanAKAL and John for the input. I think I need to ride both to make the final decision, but am leaning toward a KTM 250 exc or mxc or even a 300. It seems like you get more goodies stock on the KTM ( I know you pay more for the KTM ) and it seems like I could lug it down when I ride with my sons and let loose when I ride with my buddies. I love the big bore feel, just now the weight. Can a KDX 220 have enough guts to tackle a gnarly rock infested hill with a 200 lb. rider or pull a 3rd gear wheelie over an obstacle? If it can handle all that I would lay the money down. If not, I am betting the KTM can.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I know the KDX can do that, and I have and I am over 200, KDX is great, but if you want more options take a MX(SX) bike and make it trail friendly and then you will have more options. But the kdx will be more managable at slower speeds and when it gets nasty the kdx does even better. kdx reliability is very solid.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
firffighter said:
thanks DanAKAL and John for the input. I think I need to ride both to make the final decision, but am leaning toward a KTM 250 exc or mxc or even a 300. It seems like you get more goodies stock on the KTM ( I know you pay more for the KTM ) and it seems like I could lug it down when I ride with my sons and let loose when I ride with my buddies. I love the big bore feel, just now the weight. Can a KDX 220 have enough guts to tackle a gnarly rock infested hill with a 200 lb. rider or pull a 3rd gear wheelie over an obstacle? If it can handle all that I would lay the money down. If not, I am betting the KTM can.

with 13/50 gearing the KDX will do fine. comparing at 1997 to a 2001 although the KDX is really a 1995 vintage the KDX will end up being the best of the 2 bikes IMHO. You may need to dig deep into that motor on the KTM and bring up all the tolerences to spec as it's probably been ridden quite a bit. If I were buying new then it's a no brainer -get a KTM 250 EXC! :)

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
firffighter said:
Can a KDX 220 have enough guts to tackle a gnarly rock infested hill with a 200 lb. rider or pull a 3rd gear wheelie over an obstacle? If it can handle all that I would lay the money down. If not, I am betting the KTM can.

Yes on the first. I'm 200 lbs and my favorite place is a rock infested uphill on the KDX220. It will pull wheelies pretty easily, but it's no where near as snappy a power band as a KX. But, I've had no problem getting the front tire up to get over an obstacle. I have no idea if I've ever done it in 3rd gear or not.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
thanks for everyone's input. This is a tough decision because I haven't ridden in a while and I want to buy the right bike. I'm leaning toward the KTM after visiting the local shop and checking them out. I may save my nickels and dimes and get a new 250 or 300mxc. They seem to be very versatile and I wont be thinking in the back of my ming "I wish I had more power". I cant wait to get out there and tear it up.

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
KTM vs KDX

After riding the CR500 and the IT490 I think you will very quickly out grow the KDX220, I came back from a 10 year lay-off on a RM250 and bought a 03 KDX200, with the usual mods ( FMF Pipe, 607reeds,gears,jets) I weigh 140 lbs. and I out grew the 200 in 3 months. I couldn't deal with the lack of power, so I bought a 02 KX250 ( much better).

I occasionally ride my brothers EXC300 and if it's power you want, look at a KTM EXC/MXC 300. This bike puts my 250 to shame.

KTM = awesome power & suspension, just don't break it $$$.
KDX = Very reliable trail bike that needs suspension and engine mods.

Now to all KDX'ers, I still ride my 200, this is just my evaluation after riding both bikes so no flame jobs please.

Go Orange

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
KTM = awesome power & suspension said:
I just dont understand this. I hear it all the time.

As the owner of 2 orange bikes now (yes, life is good), I have to 100% disagree. i find most parts cheaper than any japanese bike I have ever ownwed. To top that off, there is a great group of dealers that take 20% of parts and ship them to you that day for free. I NEVER found that before.

I love the family aspect of KTM owenership. Sort of cultish - but in a positive way.

Personally - I loved my KDX - but my orange 200 is in another class.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Thanks again for everyone's input. I will be purchasing a 2003 KTM exc 250 next month. I will let you know how the riding goes. Can't wait.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Braahp said:
................and my KDX will go anywhere and just as fast or faster than an orange one. I'm stayin' green.

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

2wheeler said:
YEA!!!!!!!!! What Braahp said

:yikes: :yikes:

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
firffighter said:
Thanks again for everyone's input. I will be purchasing a 2003 KTM exc 250 next month. I will let you know how the riding goes. Can't wait.
You are going to LOVE the 300! Thwe 250 is ok, but for putting, stick with the 300.

Top Bottom