DTH

Sep 21, 2001
I Just Bought A Kx100 01 And Was Wondering What Everbody Is Using For Sparkplugs. Dennis Kirk's Book Has A R6252k-105 Listed. Would Anyone Know What The Equivalent Ngk Plug Would Be? Thanks Dth

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
DTH said:
I Just Bought A Kx100 01 And Was Wondering What Everbody Is Using For Sparkplugs. Dennis Kirk's Book Has A R6252k-105 Listed. Would Anyone Know What The Equivalent Ngk Plug Would Be? Thanks Dth

If i remember correctly that is a NGK part number. I actually use a B8ES in the KX100.

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
That is the correct NGK plug number, R625K-105. My Wife's KX100 is an 04' and that is the right plug for it. The stock number on the box is 2741.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep the R6252K-105 was the stock plug in my KX80 as well. I fouled it out pretty fast and switched to using BR8ES plugs and never fouled again. I did lug the bike around though and wasn't riding it WFO. Like Racer#213 said - if the rider is riding the bike pretty wide open, then a BR9ES is the better choice. I even know some top 80/100 racers that run a BR10ES in their KX's but they never let off the gas either.

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
Sounds like you guys like the BR8ES for trails. My wife's 100 is always in the woods and she does'nt get anywhere near wide open. Still running the stock plug type in it and she has only been through one of those on the trail and it did try to load up one more time after that but it cleared itself up. That is riding for about 4 months. If you trail guys are having good luck with the BR8ES then I might have to give it a try.

tzracer46

Sep 26, 2000
The stock plug R6252K-105 is actually a 10.5 heat range plug that's what the 105 means vs the br8 or br9. Just be careful if you run an 8 in it so you don't overheat it. Also keep a close eye on it for detonation. Personally if it was me I'd stick with the 9 and maybe try leaning the jetting out a little bit if you're running at less than wide open all the time. Most bikes come from the factory a little on the rich side anyway so leaning it out a bit won't hurt it. The 10.5 plug is there from the factory for expert level riders. If you tried to jet the bike correctly and put an expert rider on it with an 8 plug you'd end up most likely with a piston with a hole in it from detonation.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
An 8 seems pretty hot for an 80/100. I run an 8 in my 125.

Most kids around here that ride locally at trails here ride at pretty moderate speeds and accelerating hard every now and then (but average at lower speeds than the bikes standards) all run 9s in there fine.

xrkx

Dec 28, 2003
Good to know about the 105 being the heat range. That is a new one to me. Knowing that, then maybe a BR9ES wood be a better choice for my wife on the trails. That way it would be just a tad hotter than what is in it now. Or..... Since we have not had any big problems with it and we never go into the woods without at least one extra plug for it, maybe I would be better to stay with the R6252K-105.

What are your thoughts guys, try a BR9ES or stick with the stock plug? If the 9 may cause piston failures, then I don't have any problems with a fouled plug once in a while by sticking with the 105.

Thaks for your thoughts.

tzracer46

Sep 26, 2000
you should be fine in the woods with the 9. The 105 is really a racing plug and you need to keep the bike on the pipe to keep it clean. You may want to try a br9ev. They cost a little more, but they do work a little better and resist fouling better than the es

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
DTH said:
thanks to all for responding. that gives me an idea of what to run. thanks again DTH

Yeah - thanks too. I think i'll try out the B9ES (or EV) instead of the 8's that i've ben using. The bikes been ran pretty hard with the 8's with no noticable piston meltdown but i'd rather not take that chance.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom