99rm125

Jul 17, 2003
hello, i just got done putting together a 96 kx250. I started it up for the first time and drove it down the road 200 yards and then the clutch started to fade. When i got back to my house i had no clutch. I adjusted the cable all the way and still had no engagement. Any help is much appreciated.

99rm125

Jul 17, 2003
i adjusted the free play for a nickels width. although i got to thinking and i think i forgot to tighten the big nut. Could that have loosened driving just that far? I am up at school and i just now remembered that!

SBC383STROKER

Feb 28, 2008
Is my clutch gone?

Hello,
If you rode the bike for a length of about 2 football fields with no free play in the lever then that is enough for the clutch to burn out. The reason why you HAVE to have at least 1/4" of free play is because when the clutch starts to heat up it expands and without that "free play" in the lever then the clutch is gonna be dragging itself to death until well.......it fades. lol
You might want to check your clutch actuating rod (the rod that connects to the cable at the engin) to see if it is engaging inside the engine. Tear down time lol :)

Top Bottom