May 9, 2006
Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2005 KX250 for $3k. It looks to be in great condition and the owner said it has around 20 hours on it. Now, I'm a pretty small guy (5'7", 130#, I can't flatfoot on it yet), with some experience on a KLX125, KX85, and a little on a KDX. I plan on doing some trail and field riding, maybe some racing down the road.

My questions:

Is this a bike I could effectively ride/up my skills more on?
Is $3k for said bike a good deal?
Is a 250 a bad choice for anything but the track (I've heard it is)?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
First off you shouldn't sit flat footed on the bike I'm 5'10 180 pounds and I still don't sit flat footed on my KX and on my XR I was tippietoed totally. The 250's a great motocross bike. But it's also not a bad trail bike. A lot better then the 125 cause it has more low end power. 3000 is a great price for a 250 I just paid 2200 for an 02 model. And your last question I don't quite understand but I think your asking if the 250 will be a good bike to develope skills on. Well I can say if you have any skills the 250 will definatly work with you not against you.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I have the same bike, bought it new. $3K for one with 20hrs. on it would be a steal. It does have alot of power for someone your size. How old are you, do you think you will get taller/bigger?

Oh also, the stock supsension on that bike would be very stiff for you, so you would probably have to put some money into at least softer springs.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
[
QUOTE=KX02]I have the same bike, bought it new. $3K for one with 20hrs. on it would be a steal. It does have alot of power for someone your size. How old are you, do you think you will get taller/bigger?

Oh also, the stock supsension on that bike would be very stiff for you, so you would probably have to put some money into at least softer springs.[/QUOTE]

the KX250 is supposed to have one of the softest suspension setups, so anything but the Kawasaki probably wouldnt work out, especially on trails because of its low seat height. the KX250 is also well-known for its low-end/torque, which is perfect for trails and can also be used effectively on tracks :nod: . have fun, but dont expect to shoot off into the sunset on your first ride :) :ride: .

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i've ridden a 2000 KX250 and im only 5' 6" 150lbs and i could flat foot while sitting on it. yes it does have quite of bit "hit" so a flywheel weight wouldnt be a bad idea..

May 9, 2006
Well, I test rode it the other day. It FLIES to say the least. I love it and once I get all the cash, I'm probably going to get it.

I did have a question though. To keep it going, do you sometimes have to blip the throttle?

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
lkwinnipesaukee said:
Well, I test rode it the other day. It FLIES to say the least. I love it and once I get all the cash, I'm probably going to get it.

I did have a question though. To keep it going, do you sometimes have to blip the throttle?[/QUOTE]

250 2T's will move as soon as you touch the throttle, but that varies slightly depending on the brand. the KX250 is supposed to have excellent throttle response, but it could all depend on where youre riding it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I would take the comment to mean the bike does not idle, and yes most MX'ers have their 2 strokes setup that they will stall out with no throttle.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
3000 is a good price for an 05. Got my 03 for 2200. The 05 has the new motor and that alone would make the 3000 worth it.

May 9, 2006
I'm beginning to have second thoughts about my second thoughts. I would really like to purchase the KX250. It was owned by a friend that I know did not beat on it and took care of it. And the price is great (to top it off, he's throwing in new plastics and a new pipe).

Being the little guy that I am (around 5'6" 130#, still growing), would I be able to handle this bike on the terrain I plan to use it on (e.g., logging roads; fields; trails, some technical; hills) or at least get used to the insane amount of power? Like I said, I would really like to buy this bike from him.

Last edited:

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
the 2005 kx 250 has a 5.2kg spring, the 2006 and 2007 have a lighter one, if you can get the bike for that price I would say get it. You will grow into it. I have the same bike and like it allot. I bought mine for 3500 about 6 months ago and it looks like it rolled of the show room floor.

MyckMcClung

Sep 19, 2009
You got a great deal, put an 11 oz, flywheel weight, and a moose tourque block on her. You'll also need softer springs for your weight and if you're woods riding, a re-valve. Some barkbusters a rear rotor gaurd and radiator braces and you're rocking.

Top Bottom