ewbish

Feb 3, 2002
Couple questions:

How much has the KX60 changed in the last 10 years or so? As far as I can tell the 94 and 2001 are identical except for the seat and graphics, is this true? Also, what kind of price range can I expect on these bike? Basically this is going to be an interim bike for my son, he's to aggressive now for his DS80, but can't touch the ground on a 80 cc MX bike. I figure he'll be on the KX60 for 6 to 9 months at most. I'm not even looking at the 65, too much money for a interim bike. The other thing I was wondering, is there any gotchas on the KX60's? For example, the KX65 2000-2001's all had frame problems, anything like that on the 60?
Eric

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
My son has had one for less than a year it is a 01. they have been the same for at least 10 years the only thing that has changed in almost 20 years is the liquid cooling. Ours had a mysterious stock piston failure after a few months it apeared that the top ring had actually rotated over the keeper pin thus putting alot of pressure on one side of it causing it to tear up the piston and cylinder. So I got it all back to gether and just this last weekend the lower rod bearing let go. causing more head, piston and cylinder damage due to Kawasaki not alowing enough tolorance at the crank making it overheat and grenade, supposedly a common problem with the 60's and 65's Aprox. a 300.00 project to have fixed. :whiner: The other thing I don't like is the chain guide it is made of plastic and breaks off easily and if you lose it you can expect to pay around 75.00 from Kawasaki to buy all of the peices. ( I have done it twice). Other than that all's well Good Luck!
:whiner:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
The 60 has springs, front and rear, that are to soft for bigger jumps. For bumpy trails or small-medium size jumps, you will be OK. Other than that, our 98 was very reliable.

sg330r

Nov 12, 2001
kx 60

i think the kx 60 is almost bullet proof. we have a 96 and it has had absolutly no problems. the stock rear shock is weak though, we have a ohlins on ours and it works much better. i would think you could get a nice 60 for around $1200.00, i wouldn't worry to much about what year, sometin=mes you can find a older one with low hours maybe 95 to 00.

ewbish

Feb 3, 2002
Thanks for the replies. I think I will take the advice and look for an old one. Seems like there are a couple around in real good shape.
Eric

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I'm in the process of rebuilding my sons 2000 model. The lower rod bearing went out. Definetly not cheap and I've been waiting for the parts for two weeks. :( un til this problem the bike was bullet proof.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom