kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
Hey, I'm in the dark when it comes to electrical stuff so bear with me here. My KDX-175 has a 6v 35w headlight system, as far as i can see it is basicly for emergencies only. Believe it or not, this old bike goes on some long rugged trail rides up here. I realy enjoy it and see no reason to get rid of it beside the lighting issue. When I get cought out in the dark the light is real dim, becouse of the small amout of output. So I am looking for some ideas to get a Nice bright headlight, so I could possibly do some nite riding. I've heard stuff about rewraping to get more light and different coils and stuff. But as I said Im a total idiot when it comes to electrical, But Im slowly learning. So give me some ideas here , help me out please! :)

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Two main options, you can 1) modify your bike so it makes more electricity, or 2) carry a bit of juice with out. For 1) you would probably need a custom wound lighing coil. I don't know how they are set up stock, but that usualy does the trick. Ricky stator and bajadesigns offer such services and could probably get you squared away.

The second option actually might work out better. There are some excelent, and very very bright mountain bike lights that are powered by a small, battery you could easily carry on the bike. These lights can be mounted to you helmet or you could mount them to your bike if you so chose. The brightest, are the HID varity, like the niterider storm and such. A storm puts out more light than my street bike which has dual 60wt hallogens and burns for 4 hours on one battery charge.

good luck and have fun:)

Top Bottom