fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
It is time to get started with trail maintenance.  As Derhntr mentioned, the trails by the LMC clubgrounds are open.  I realize next weekend is the Easter holiday, but some of us will be getting together to do some scouting on Saturday (4/19).  I am planning a day trip as I need to get home for family obligations.

Please post here if you are interested in helping with the maintenance.  It is a lot easier with a bigger group.  The Spring maintenance involves riding the trail, removing the deadfall trees and brush, and making notes on where signs need to be replaced.  We do have some camp saw available to help remove the brush, but we will need some chain saws for the bigger trees.

The goal of the Spring maintenance is to make sure the trails are safe before the Memorial Day weekend.  We are planning to do more maintenance on April 26 and 27.  Let us know if you can help out.  Please post any questions also.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mike
I'll be there with the Kids on 4-19 all day for Trail Maint and then on one and maybe both of the days the following weekend. I can bring a chain saw if needed.

If you have some maps that we can take we can mark on them where any problems are for the come back work.

Fred

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I will ask my Dad if I can drive the suburban down and help. I'll get back to ya.

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
Hey Tom. Maybe you can take my KTM 200 ..........NOT.
bet now you wish you would have raked my leaves after borrowing it last time. Maybe your little brother wants to ride it.

Fly'nBrian

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 3, 2001
I'll Be there.

Chicken loop is all ready done, and from county line west to stratford is done, with the execption of a "Chain Saw log".

Brian

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
It's okay Greg my bike is MUCH better now after I fixed what you did to it. And Tim isn't coming.;) I'll be able to make it down. Just say a time and I'll be there.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I forgot big Tom just turned 16 and is legal to drive.  I am thinking 10:00 would be a good time to meet at the clubgrounds.

wyatt, do not let him smack talk you.  Last Fall I never saw Tom smile so much as he was riding your KATOOM.  You probably should not let Tim ride your bike.  He may go faster than Tom and that would make big brother....MAD!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Kevin,

I know your cabin is around Hwy 72, but give us a better idea of where it is located.  Tom Dixon and Don Marsh both live in Kalkaska and Mark W. has a cabin up there too.

Come on down...it will be great to meet you!

Mike

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Kev, here's directions from M-72 west toward Kalkaska:

M-27 to M-66 left (south)
Turn left on at the Moorsetown sign (old M-66), about 8-10 miles down from the M-66 junction. Folllow this until you reach another road with a Moorsetown sign, turn left. Then go to 7 Mile Road (4 way stop), turn left again. The road turns to dirt, turn left again on Johnson Road (first road). Turn left into the club grounds.

There's a shorter, all-dirt road way, but this is the easiest to describe. From Grayling, this will take you a half hour to 40 minutes.

I won't be able to make it up. Andy's graduating from High School this year, things will be busy around here a little bit.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I would love to show, but I am moving this weekend, and all this week. Going to move to my Lake house on lake huron. I am there for the next scenario...

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Aight see ya then.

Will there be any road riding? If so then I will throw some now working lights on to look half-way legal.

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The road riding will be kept to a minimum (my bike will not have a legal plate on it yet).  If someone is not completely legal, we will not ask to ride any main roads (maybe some 2 tracks).

captainkev

Feb 24, 2003
My cabin is about 3 miles North of Hwy 612 about 10 miles W of Frederic.
I should be able to work with the directions that Mark posted.
It sounds like 10 am will be the meet time ?

Kevin

captainkev

Feb 24, 2003
One more thing. I haven't been riding dirt bikes in about 21 years. I have had some road bikes over the years, and love to rip it up on my Arctic Cat F7 SnoPro in the white stuff.
But......................Friday will be my inaugural ride on the new bike, so you have to promise not to laugh at my Green riding style. And I don't mean because it's a Kawi..........................

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Kev, I'm due south of you a few miles. At the crossing of the Manistee on
M-27, I'm 2 miles south on the river.

captainkev

Feb 24, 2003
Mike,

It looks like from the weather forcast that it suppose to be mid forties with rain and snow showers on Saturday.
Is this a rain or shine kind of deal? Is there a cell # I could call in the event it is cancelled. I just don't want to trailer down there if you call it off for the weather. Then again, a little mud on the bike would break in proper.

Kevin

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by captainkev
One more thing. I haven't been riding dirt bikes in about 21 years.
.. Friday will be my inaugural ride on the new bike, so you have to promise not to laugh at my Green riding style.
Ah yes, I remember my inaugural ride after a 20 year break. Just watch out for front-end washouts on slow, left-hand turns!

Either way you'll be in great riding company.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Kevin,

I will be there rain or shine.  I do understand if attendance is lower with the forecast.  I need to make some progress on trail maintenance as the Spring work needs to be done before Memorial Day.

FYI - very few cell phones work at the clubgrounds.  It is in a valley.  However, I will try to get the phone number at the clubgrounds.   If you call this number, let the phone ring.  IF someone can hear it, we will answer it.

Drew 674

Jul 25, 2002
F&S I can be up there the next weekend (26/27th) to help out...and i'll bring the chainsaw.

if needed I have access to my dad's cough (quad) with a winch and racks...if we need to haul/move anything.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Sounds great guys.

Drew, quads do make for great utility vehicles and we do use them on trail maintenace.  It is difficult to haul the chain saws on the bikes.;)

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Rain or shine baby.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Now wouldn't this come in handy for hauling a chainsaw around...

smcs6.jpg

Chainsaw rear fender rack:

http://www.promotobillet.com/accessories.htm (scroll down halfway)

Pricey, and requires their cargo rack as well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom