Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
The Monday after the two-day event (two weeks ago), Henk came up with the idea of going to Rotorua again the Sunday just gone. As it was Mum’s 70th birthday, we thought we’d better get permission, so the day after they flew in from Australia, we popped in to visit. Mum was “oh, of course you can go, what an opportunity”. Dad was “what are you two up to, you never ask us anything” until it was explained to him that it was mum’s birthday, then it was “of course you can’t go, why are you even considering it” (typical male, never mind he didn’t remember). So, all the uncertain plans became certainties, with the exception of Henk’s riding partner – he came down with the flu & couldn’t go.

We traipsed off Saturday and sat around the motel drinking & sitting in the hot pool (what a hardship). While in the pool, the rains did come down (it’d been dry for at least two days up till then – but the pool was inside with a slight hole for ventilation). Sunday we awoke, the rains had diminished and it looked good.

Arriving at the forest the crowd of two weeks past were nowhere to be seen, it was quiet (but picked up later). We got talking to people and one guy had obviously never been to that forest before so was a bit concerned about his son on the XR80 and felt better after being told I’d followed a KTM65 the other week with no problems.

The ride started on a gravel road (have I ever mentioned I hate gravel roads) and it was soooo cold, I was wishing I’d worn my jacket, but soon I forgot about that and hit the ride proper. There was a mix of sandwashes, single track, dirt roads, gravel roads, roots, mud (lovely and slimey), bog holes, whoops – pretty much you name it, it was in there. I pulled over to let the kid on the XR past (I didn’t realise it was him) as I could not get the rhythm at all on this ride – he was obviously closer to my tail than I realised and I looked down to see him lying there – ooops. No harm done and we all carried on (it was a slippery clay downhill full of ruts and way too early into the ride to have got it together).

A bit later on I stopped to let someone else go past & noticed that “he” had a ponytail so decided to trail her. Unfortunately I still wasn’t into it (I was freaking out, just really bad vibes and wishing I hadn’t taken my bike down there) so let her go. I caught up to her later and we got talking a bit, so we headed out together after that. I’d stop to make sure people were okay and get left behind, but she’d be waiting for me. At one stage I came across the father of the XR kid lying on the ground with his bike on top of him, and even though he waved me on, I stopped to help him. The fuel was pouring out the overflow (which had been my main concern) and then helped lift his bike up and noticed he was having problems with his knee. He told me to carry on and tell his son to wait, as he’d be a while, so I headed off (trying not to take him out with my back wheel on the slippery clay) and eventually found his son (who had stopped to wait for him but he “took too long” lol). They headed out of the trails early, but I met up with them back at the van.

My new riding buddy and I carried on, but one thing that was frustrating (I’d say more so for her than me) was the fact that if she stalled or dropped the bike (KLX250) it would take ages to start (definitely needs an electric start). My bike hardly ever stalled (the new topend definitely made a difference there) and is way easier to kick over - 1st or 2nd every time.

When she got stuck in a bog hole, I went back to help her out (I’d decided to go past her at this stage, as I’d seen which line to take – and noticed they’d cut around the bog so neither of us had needed to get stuck - doh!). Whilst lifting and tugging the bike out and moving the odd log out of it, a few guys came along & decided to watch (thanks for the help guys, but yip, we were okay). The only problem was, do you know how much roost gets thrown out of the back? Of course, it had pumice in it, so I felt it rubbing for the rest of the ride (reminds me, I must wash my gloves, yuck).

It was a great ride and as both of us women don’t usually ride with others (or at least are well used to riding on our own as our partners are too fast for us), I think we both had fun. (I know I did and wish that she lived closer, but maybe we’ll meet up again at another ride and organise ourselves better).

I’ve decided my technique’s okay(ish), but I definitely need to work on my speed – well, at least I manage to get through most stuff and I’ve worked out that it doesn’t have to look “pretty”, just so long as it works. I know there’s a lot more I’ve got to work on, but it’ll come (or not) and in the meantime life’s going faster than I am. Thank y’all for letting me ramble.
Michelle

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Great Report!!! Michelle, one of these days I'm going to make it over to your neck of the woods and ride with you! I should just add that to my "List".

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey Michelle- Great report; it IS fun riding with other women for sure even if ya do get roosted in a mud bog; LOL! I have a quick question for you: How did you know when it was time to re-do the top end on your bike? I'm wondering what symptoms to look for. I don't want to "wait until it's too late," but I have no idea what I'm doing since this will be my first. Oh and another question... What's beyond those Bombay mountains over there just south of Rotorua?

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Jen,

When you bike seems to be losing power and does not run as good. That is when you need a new piston. Actually sometimes you can get away with only doing the rings and not the piston. My trials bike is needing a new piston. Right now you can kind of hear it clunking in there since it is worn and now does not fit as tight. I would imagine you can get 2 years out of it unless you are riding every weekend and not cleaning the airfilter every time you ride. Hope that helps.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by CJ Rider
How did you know when it was time to re-do the top end on your bike? I'm wondering what symptoms to look for. I don't want to "wait until it's too late," but I have no idea what I'm doing since this will be my first. Oh and another question... What's beyond those Bombay mountains over there just south of Rotorua?
Jen, we knew it was overtime to do the top end - I'd had the bike 2 years & not even pulled the head off it (but had regularly checked the powervalve to make sure all was okay there). It gets real easy to kick over, but doesn't always fire i.e. the compression is down. When I had my 80, we did it about every 4-6 months. It didn't really need it doing that often with my riding ability (i.e. I didn't rev the snot out of it), but it was a safety factor. If you have any doubts, buy a top end gasket set, along with a piston kit (make sure you get everything needed as not all piston kits have a new bearing - my mind's gone blank as to what that's called - & circlips). It doesn't take long to do, but do ensure when you put the rings in that they're in the correct position - there's a pin that goes in the ring gap. Make sure you have a manual too.

Just because I'm a JAFA (just another f... Aucklander) doesn't mean I think life stops at the Bombay's. (okay, so what is there?, I thought it was just the ocean). I've been to Wellington 3x (once to stay, the other times passing through on my way to & from Nelson), Christchurch once & obviously Nelson once. We're considering moving out of Auckland and it'll probably happen in about 2-3 years, if at all - Rotorua is the city of choice at the moment - excellent riding, plenty of hot pools & lots of stink lol, plus we'd be able to travel anywhere in the North Island to go riding). To be honest, I don't even like Auckland and I was born here.
Michelle

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom