oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
I need a new rear tire. The local shop has m-12`s and s-12`s for 49.99. Seems like a good price. I ride trails in so cal. No tracks. Thanx for any info.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
$49 is a great price. That's what I paid for mine on sale but now I see them for $65. :eek: I have the S 12 rear, M 12 front and that seems to be a popular combination here in the NW. Even though it's a soft terrain tire it has held up really well in the wide range of conditions we have.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I`ve been using Dunlop`s 756 rear tire with decent results.I haven`t tried the 756 front yet. They`re meant fof intermediate terrain.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I like the s-12 rear, it's worked great for me so far. I've tried every dunlop made any can't get any mileage out of them, one ride and they're usually thrashed, not really made for offroadin' I don't think. I hear maxxis has a nice tire out now, but I have yet to see it in the shops.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Oooh ... nothing like figuring out which new tire to buy !

.... I've read quite a few posts that talk about bad wear on the S-12 rear in rocks ... on the other hand I've also read that the M-12 rear is next to useless. So go figure ! Have you considered IRC ? I know a sight where you can get an IRC rear for like $35 and it'll last forever ... you should also take a hard look at Maxxis. Great value for the price.

Check this out ... http://cycledepot.net/STORE/directory.asp?under=76

They have everything and the prices are great on most of the stuff ... not all ... but most. Check out Maxxis and IRC. Otherwise, I'd say get the S-12.

Just my 2 cents !

Last edited:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I'd guess the S12 would work awesome for you. It's the only tire I use in the back. Wears extremely well and gets traction almost anywhere. It it a soft terrain tire so if you're in a lot of blue groove or very hard stuff, it might not work as well.

Michelin sizing runs screwy. There should be a yellow tag on the tire telling you the correct size. 120, 130, 140 in Michelin is the same as 100, 110, 120, respectively, in most everyone elses tires. Do NOT buy the 120 (100) sized S12. The knobs are much smaller than the other two bigger sizes and it doesn't wear well or last long.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
S-12 rear and M-12 front is the favored combo around here, I had really good results with the S-12 on my YZ 400 which was really hard on tires. As soon as I can safely say to the wife that the stock set of dunlops is worn out I will get another set. $49 is a great deal.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Eel, the cheapest tire I found for the rear is $43. Without shipping charges.

I have a 756 rear m-12 front. I am going to squeeze a few more rides out of the rear.

After work I am picking up an s-12 rear. Can`t find any web site that can match $50 for the rear. I might pick up two tires.

Thanx for all the input.

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
A firend of mine just got a m12 on his rm. hes not happy with it at all and is getting rid of it. On the other had the s12 is a very good choice got me though a whole season of riding hard pack to sand. Very nice tire.

Matt

speeed-up!!!

Apr 14, 2002
:| It has alot to do with the type of riding conditions of where i ride but i had 2 s12 and i didnt like them that much. ( but then again i ride in alot of rocks) after the 1st ride my tires started to show wear and by the 10th ride people were tellin me i should start lookin into a new tire if you ride in the rock i would not recomend them ( they dont wear they just come apart in chunks) but if your riding just soft dirt they hook up very well.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
my biggest problem with the 756 dunlop was that even though it didn't look like it was wearing badly it would not hook up. The Michelin can be ran until it's slick and it'll still bite. I get funny looks when I walk into a shop and ask for "any 18" rear tire that isn't a dunlop"

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
756's don't even come close to a s-12. i'd say they last 5 times as long and still bite good. when the bitting edge gets really rounded, i flip it around and get about 5 more races out of the tire. this is extremely good considering i ride a 520. rock will tear it up pretty bad though, but what do you expect, its a soft terrain tire. haven't tried any fronts though, because i haven't wore out the 756 yet. i don't change front tires very often.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
ml36, the S-12's I've purchased are always a directional tire. I guess I've never tried to flip one around (they last so long, I don't mind buying a new one). Do you notice any ill handling from running it the "wrong way?"

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
they say they're directional but I mounted mine backwards (wasn't paying attention) the tread is the same either way. The D756 front isn't really a bad tire, being a skinny guy on a 250 it doesn't get much use :eek:

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
You can't go wrong with either. I use the S-12 for off-road and and M-12 for moto, both hold up extremely well. The S-12 even held up to a day of moto on a blue groove moto track on my 400. It showed alot of wear but didn't chunk like most tires would.

Coach

kmurr

Jan 30, 2001
I just Bought The s-12rear M-12front combo, I have ridden bikes with that setup and really liked it. The front works really nice in the woods. The stock tire on my 01 cr-250 really sucked!! I can't wait for the weekend!

Ken

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
One thing to consider is that the S-12 can be flipped around to get some more rides in (There is a directional arrow on the tire, but the knob pattern is identical in each direction) before tossing it. The M-12 is definitely a directional tire, and can't be turned around.
I've never used the M-12, but I have been extremely happy with the s-12 front and rear. They seem to last much longer than the Dunlop tires I have used.
Rich

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by speeed-up!!!
:| It has alot to do with the type of riding conditions of where i ride but i had 2 s12 and i didnt like them that much. ( but then again i ride in alot of rocks) after the 1st ride my tires started to show wear and by the 10th ride people were tellin me i should start lookin into a new tire if you ride in the rock i would not recomend them ( they dont wear they just come apart in chunks) but if your riding just soft dirt they hook up very well.

i agree with speed-up (don't forget sometimes we need to slow down to speed up!).
my freind on a 426 eats rear S12's for breakfast in the rocks. rips them to shreads, so i wouldn't use one on the back if you see alot of rocks, like we do.

we like to use the S12 front and M12 rear, but even with the M12 on the back, we can rip them up pretty good in the rocks. in this kind of terrain, we average about 4 rear M12's to 1 front S12 (426 rider anyway).
i am keen on trying the H12 but am not sure since no one i know has tried one. i started a thread on this topic and a fellow member really liked the H12 out back so i think i will take the plunge.

it seems that the Michelins are the top choice of many riders, here and in the USA. everyone i ride with uses them, so i guess it is almost fashionable! Shane Watts won his world enduro championship on Michelins, but if you have ever seen him ride, he could win on just about anything so i guess that doesn't stand for much.

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
magoo, there are no promblems with flipping an S-12 around. i think those directional arrows are just a marketing ploy to get us to buy tires sooner. the only thing i can think of would be that the knobs would be more prone to tearing away since they have been already continually stressed in the opposite direction.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
i remember hearing that directional tyres run the risk of delaminating if the are run the wrong way. it is just what i have heard.
it might be true for road tyres that generate alot of heat at speed/load, but i doubt it is dangerous on the dirt.

speeed-up!!!

Apr 14, 2002
:| I think that the reason some directional tires are not recomended to be reversed is the way the bead is wound inside the tire. I dont know if they were running on tires that really should have been replaced anyway but someone i talked to said they had a problem with the bead actually unwinding.(True or False I have no idea but i dont wanna risk it) :|

RakO

Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by BEEF706
S-12 rear and M-12 front is the favored combo around here, I had really good results with the S-12 on my YZ 400 which was really hard on tires. As soon as I can safely say to the wife that the stock set of dunlops is worn out I will get another set. $49 is a great deal.
Why are you using M 12 in the front ?
I'ml coming from Dunlop and would like to swicht to MICHELIN , looking for general allrtound tires .
What do you suggest in the MICHELIN range
RakO
F 250 WR

Top Bottom