kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Had my first ride on my new rear tire yesterday. I have an 01 KDX all stock except for a few guards here and there.I opted for the 110/100-18 because every one said that the Maxxis tires run a bit low on profile. They were right on about the size, it was just about 1/2" wider and a hair taller than stock which was just what I was looking for. Got it at Rocky Mtn. ATV for $40 plus shipping ($11 to TN). We went to Windrock and it was anywhere from dry and dusty to muddy. It had big rocks and clay mud and about anything else you can think of. Later on it started raining and everything was a mess. I'm a new rider and all I can say is WOW what a difference. I usually dump at least two or three times due to and losing traction and momentum on big climbs. My usual riding partners are more experienced than I am and they were having trouble on areas that I seemed to do just fine. I didn't dump a single time! I might also add that I did make a sag adjustment that was pretty far off from stock ( I am not the original owner of the bike and you know how that goes). I'm tickled to death with the Maxxis IT and am thankful for all the input I've gotten here from everyone. This Message Board ROCKS! Hope this helps you decide on a tire! Maxxix IT, for the price and performance it is awesome!

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
The best part is that the IT will last twice as long as the stock Dunlop. (no kidding). We ride at Windrock nearly every Sat., if you ever want to join us, your more than welcome. Our group ranges from pretty slow to mildly aggressive riders. My e-mail is mnnthbx@hotmail.com

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
The Kenda Southwick is a great tire. Works great here in the clay on the North Coast. I've been running the Kena Millville which is the soft/intermediate tire (next up from the Southwick) Hooks up even better than the Southwick when its on the Soft rotation side and it wears like iron.

-Maurice

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Now just get rid of that stock front tire and be prepared to be amazed again. I'm running a maxxis IT rear and maxxis surecross front and love the combo.

Last edited:

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
mnnthbx- I'll hit your email...Yeah, the new rear tire has got me eyeing my front to see if I can justify trashing it for it a new Maxxis. I'm kinda needing a new chain to replace the stock rubber band I've got on their now, so my funds will go for that next. Hey motorider- Did you go with stock size on the front or up the size because of the so called lower profile of the Maxxis tires?

babycleatus

Oct 19, 2004
just like me

this sounds just like me I have and 02 and recently ordered some ITs, thier still in the mail, I hope there good, sounds like they work for you. happy trails.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
I had a Maxxis Cross IT on the front of my Katie and it was great for grip and wear - as far as a novice like me can tell anyway. It even held up relatively well riding on the road before I swapped to a pair of D604's.

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
I got a Maxxis IT rear for my KDX a few weeks ago....a totally awesome tire, wears like iron and works well in various terrain. I definitely recommend it!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Dont have a KDX, but i put one (size 120-100-18) on my xr650r.
Its been on there a few hundred miles now and it just starting to round off the knobs a little bit.
Has decent traction, but is a *!%^& to put on!!
I may go back to Dunlop next time just for ease of installation!
:laugh:

Jeepster2

Nov 14, 2004
NYkdxer said:
I got a Maxxis IT rear for my KDX a few weeks ago....a totally awesome tire, wears like iron and works well in various terrain. I definitely recommend it!

What size did you put on? Where are you located in WNY? I am in Rochester and am looking for riding partners.

JWRFlame

Mar 10, 2004
I heard tons on great stuff about the Maxxi's. The only bad things I've heard are that they are very heavy, a lot heavier than a the competition. Also they are a bitch to mount, stiff sidewalls.

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
jeepster2, i put on a 110/100x18...cost about $55 through a local dealer. I'm located in Allegany, NY near Olean, 2 hours south of Buffalo. Ride mostly tight woods and logging roads. That'd be fun to hook-up for a ride, too bad you're 3 hours from me. U have a Jeep? I've got a '76 CJ-7 as my summer driver.

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
Yeah i raced hare scrambles this year, WNYOA District 4. Had a blast...definitely doin it again next year. There was a race up by you a little while ago, one of the last ones of the season. Hogback Hill in Palmyra. I didn't make it to that one though.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Jim Crenca said:
Previous posts have indicated the tires are not great in muddy conditions.
Do you guys agree?

That pretty much sums up my experience with the IT on the rear. Seemed to work best in hard scrabble rocky conditions. Has unbelievably stiff sidewalls, I could run under 10 lbs and no pinch flats.
I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy another one due to the battle it took to mount. I would rather change 3 Pirellis than another one of those Maxxis IT's. For the right conditions its probably a great tire, like out in the southwest for example. But you'll need some giant tire irons.

Top Bottom