WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Hey guys,

Looking to pick the brains of all you MTR'ers out there. I recently bought a small Coleman pop-up camper from a buddy of mine. It's a six sleeper and I'd like to see if I can haul my KDX on the back of the camper with a receiver style carrier. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible? I believe that I'm fairly certain that I will need to re-inforce the rear bumper to mount a receiver hitch to it and I need to verify the additional weight can be burdened by the camper. I won't be able to get a pick-up until next fall, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Bill

I have had good luck with a reciever hitch mounted carrier on my motorhome. But to avoid making the motorhome drag its tail (keep in mind thats a fair bit of weight with a ton of leverage), I had to beef up the rear suspension. To me it seems those pop up campers are sprung just enough for the camper, certainly not with carring a bike in mind. So at least adding a extra leaf spring would be in order. I would also be concerned about upsetting the weight distribution in the trailer - I know that any "extremes" of weight distribution to the tongue or rear can lead to some handling ills like excessive sway etc.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
I would not do it. Those popups 8" wheels and suspension can barely handle the popup. It makes more sense to get the truck sooner. If your problem is getting out of a lease, I would ask your dealer if you can get out of the lease early if you lease/buy a truck from them. Win, Win...

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Or, you could get a carier for the back of whatever you tow with, and add the reciever to that. Then the bike would be adding weight to the tow vehicle and not the camper. Should be possible if you know a good welder. Just a thought. YZ165

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Thanks everyone. I agree about the added weight on the rear of the camper and I wasn't sure it was a good idea, especially since it is a small pop-up. I may need to stick to MTB's on the camper.

Now that you mention it YZ165, I seem to remember a hitch hauler that allowed for a hitch to tow a trailer behind it. I know that will play into the tongue weight of the trailer and the tow vehicles ability. Looks like I've got some online searching to do as well as reviewing some manuals for weight limits.

Man, SUV's can be a PITA sometimes. I want my P/U! The dealer by me has a new, bright yellow, F-150 FX4, extended cab that's been sitting there awhile. Hmmm?

Thanks again for your comments,

jnugent

Aug 30, 2003
My dad uses a double reciever to carrie has bike and tow a car behind his motorhome. He payed $50 for it. It just goes in the reciever and then you have two, the new one is about 6 inches higher than the old one.Its very well made and he has had no trouble with it. He got it from Northerntool.com Item# 330685.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom