Howser03

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I am getting my motorcycle license next friday (so I hope) and I need to get insurance before I can register my street bike. I am from jersey and there isn't a lot of places around that cover me here. I called this one place today, and they wanted $284/yr for a small '82 kz 440... does that sound right? I'm only 20 so that might be a factor. Also.. they asked if I had experience, could I use dirt bikes as experience (I told them no) ? and to all the NJ street riders out there what insurance company do you use, I can only find 'cycle insurance' and a few agents that don't call back with a quote.

Apr 15, 2002
Yea thats about right,

progressive sad to say is THE most expensive. If you have a vehicle, and insure it through state farm, they cut you VERY good rates for bikes. I was quoted 3k a year for full coverage on an R6 thru progressive :eek: :moon:

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
I would try AllState. I know for a dirtbike it's only $50/year, but then again that is only liability. To me $248/year sounds like a lot of money for an '82 KZ 440. I would definitely do some shopping around.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by 909
Yea thats about right,

progressive sad to say is THE most expensive. If you have a vehicle, and insure it through state farm, they cut you VERY good rates for bikes. I was quoted 3k a year for full coverage on an R6 thru progressive :eek: :moon:

I have my cars, home and life insured with State Farm and they wanted 30 dollars more to insure my KX than progressive did :D

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I too have been with State Farm since the early 80's. I have yet to find a better quote for any type of insurance I have. I just got the quote yesterday for theft on my bike and it was 6 clams a month. Definately worth while! ;)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by 909
progressive sad to say is THE most expensive.

i don't know about street bikes but i insure my dirt bike through progressive and it's only $50/year comprehensive.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I just got my updated statement from State Farm this week. My 01WR250 is $7.54 per month. It includes comp, collision and theft. Not sure what percentage but I do have a discount for multiple policies. 2 cars, a small life ins. and my bike.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
My dual sport, the XR Valdeze (Xr 350), cost me $85.00 every 6 months through State Farm. Bare minimum coverage.

Of course, If they ever saw it they would probably Give me a discount, or maybe just cancel me. :scream:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Do you race dirt bikes, are you an AMA member. They have discount deals with Progressive for members. I haven't owned a streed bike in 9 years so I'm not sure how good the deal is now days. But back when I had a street bike the AMA discount was decent.

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
Hi I have Erion 929 honda that I have full on comp, collision and theft and a few more things runs about $267.00 a yr 36 yr old not had a ticket in over 8 yrs. I use State Farm here in Fl.

I tryed at frist to use progressive and they were like $2,600 a yr yes $2,600
a yr for the same thing state farm has.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by mx547
i don't know about street bikes but i insure my dirt bike through progressive and it's only $50/year comprehensive.

I pay $6 bucks for comp on my dirtbike, so yea...i'd say progressive is spensive.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
there are other things to consider too. how old are you? i know when i was 20 the insurance payment was as much as the friggin bike payment. if its for liability only that is still not that much money for an annual. if you stay with them, and have no claims, it drops quite a bit. i insured an fj1200 for liability with progressive. 1st yr 120 by the 5th yr it was 48 per year. i was in my late 20s by that time. i have full coverage on a zrx1100 and it is 249 per yr. age, experience, location, and maritial status are big factors in prices. go to an independent insurance company. its the one in the yellow pages with the eagle and the big I in the middle of the logo. they carry lots of companies. have em look up dairyland. they used to be pretty big in the bike insurance biz. one last thing...........if they offer under/non insured coverage take it. it is usually reasonable and it means if you get hit by someone who has no insurance or it isnt enough to cover your injury your insurance will pick it up. be safe out there and wear your lid.

Top Bottom