rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
Hi everybody,
I'm about to be moving out of San Diego, into Austin or maybe DFW. I used to live in Austin, but have been in CA for the last 5 years in the Marine Corps. The riding in SoCal is awesome, and I know there are tracks in Texas, but I was wondering about riding areas. I ride an RM250, and my son has a KX60. I used to ride wherever I could find, but I don't think it was legal. Any information on the riding in Texas would be great.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Welcome:

Here are a few:
Red River Motorcycle Trails park near Muenster--3,000 acres of woods and creeks.
Barnwell Mountain near Gilmer, open weekends, good trails, gnarly hills.
Shiloh Ridge, about 1,200 acres east of Dallas.
Crooked Creek, south of Dallas.
Rip-Char, about 800 acres south of Dallas.
Kiamichi Mountains, millions of acres (really) of rocky trails in oak woods, 3 hours north of Dallas in Oklahoma and Arkansas.
Lake Stanley Draper, in Oklahoma City.
Marshall Creek, Grapevine, just west of Dallas.
Sam Houston National Forest, north of Houston.
And if you ride competition events like cross-country or enduros, you will get to ride even more areas, open only for the events. It's not as good as SoCal, but there's still a lot of riding in Texas.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
If you're interested in moving somewhere with riding being a big priority to you then don't come here to Austin. You either have to drive an hour, know somebody with connections, or pay big $$ to join elite clubs with mediocre riding areas that are still 45 min away.

I lived in Dallas before coming to Austin and I miss Dallas horribly when it comes to dirtbike stuff.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Actually Austin is getting quite a few close riding spots. If Greenie wasn't pinching a penny so hard that you could see the other side of Abe's profile he'd know this. There is a nice MX track that opened up near the new airport which happens to be very close to where Green Horn is employed so I can see how he would miss it LOL! The city has a park called Emma Long Park or "City Park" that is very technical but it a lot of fun. Then there is always the local club, AMSA which has a monthly family day ride at different private property each month. AMSA has also secured 3 new private lease properties all within 30-45 minutes of downtown Austin and will be developing both trail systems and a track. The current fee for a family membership to all of lease properties is $225 and that gives you 24/7/365 access. Now if you ride 1.25 times a year like Greenie then it might be a little expensive. Send me an email and I'll shoot ya' my contact info. :cool:

rjl250

Oct 18, 2004
Thanks a lot for the replies, I kind of have to go where the money is instead of where the best riding will be. I'm looking for an electronics job if anyone knows of anything. I can't seem to email you Patman, something about my profile. I look forward to getting away from the high prices of southern California, but I sure will miss the awesome riding.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Patman said:
Actually Austin is getting quite a few close riding spots. If Greenie wasn't pinching a penny so hard that you could see the other side of Abe's profile he'd know this. There is a nice MX track that opened up near the new airport which happens to be very close to where Green Horn is employed so I can see how he would miss it LOL! The city has a park called Emma Long Park or "City Park" that is very technical but it a lot of fun. Then there is always the local club, AMSA which has a monthly family day ride at different private property each month. AMSA has also secured 3 new private lease properties all within 30-45 minutes of downtown Austin and will be developing both trail systems and a track. The current fee for a family membership to all of lease properties is $225 and that gives you 24/7/365 access. Now if you ride 1.25 times a year like Greenie then it might be a little expensive. Send me an email and I'll shoot ya' my contact info. :cool:

You shoulda been a used car salesman. :moon:

Never said there weren't opportunities to ride, but it's slim pickin's compared to the DFW area.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
rkl250 shoot an email to (ppoel at texas dot net) fill the in appropriate symbols and remove spaces.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Hmm, maybe next year if I can get a first floor apartment I'll bring my bike down to school with me. It would be nice to be able to go riding on the weekend.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
yzguy15 said:
Hmm, maybe next year if I can get a first floor apartment I'll bring my bike down to school with me. It would be nice to be able to go riding on the weekend.
Hey as long as you don't try to go with Greenie you might actually get to ride :laugh:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Patman said:
Hey as long as you don't try to go with Greenie you might actually get to ride :laugh:

I don't think Greenie actually rides! I believe the correct term would be that he gets lost and spends the night with a nice mesquite bush. :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
TwinSpar said:
I don't think Greenie actually rides! I believe the correct term would be that he gets lost and spends the night with a nice mesquite bush. :laugh:
:laugh: and no TP!

Texas Scout

Mar 19, 2005
I'm in the same boat. I lived in the panhandle of Texas, where you can pretty much ride where you please. I just got back from Iraq (Army) and am living in Austin. Have you found anywhere to ride in this area yet?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Any of you Austin area folks can email me at ppoel at texas dot net.

Top Bottom