wfodbiker

Mar 27, 2001
Here is a long, but amusing story.

My son will be 4 next week and has been on my case about riding his runrun(PW50). So, after donning the safety gear, he was learning the ropes on his runrun with the custom made training wheels(actually more like outriggers). I have about an acre of flat ground next to my house and told him to ride in circles and stay in that part of the yard. He was having a blast, grinning ear to ear(or maybe that was me). He must have got bored with the circle riding thing, because he headed off to the backyard. The backyard is where my small double and small single jumps are located. I was running after him, yelling the whole way, but I couldn't catch that damn PW. The boy had the PW WFO for the double. A few feet before the double one of the outriggers caught a hole or something and made the PW swerve into a field. Whew, I escaped a big one that time. I finally caught him and headed him back to the flat side yard. At this point, I thought everything was fine and dandy. Well the boy decided to make a little detour back to the side yard and promptly T-boned a maple tree. After extricating him from his predicament, I asked him why he didn't turn to miss the tree. He said "I didn't see the tree". I replied "How could you not see the tree". His response "I had my eyes closed". I'm 100% serious, the kid closed his eyes because the sun was shining in them. I've did alot of stupid things on a dirbike, but I've never rode with my eyes closed. Too make matters worse, he told his mom as soon as we got in the house. So I had to listen to her whine for 10 minutes.
My other son is 20 months old, I sure hope his first ride is less interesting.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
fun isn't it - Jonathan decided his moms car was a good place to stop, this after he had got the hang of it - kablam ! wifey was not amused :)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
My son's first jump almost was adisaster due to me and his excitement. He had built a 6" plywood jump which got boring so I eyed up the dirtpile out back thatt I was digging from. I called him over and thoiught I told him what approach to use but he only heard me say jump it. He took off got it WFO and headed right into the verticle wall where I had dug it out. You can guess the results- bike stopped he didn't. I swallowed hard and ran over to him and as he got up I could see an ear to ear grin inside his helmet and he kept saying wow!! My wife also saw it and her reaction wasn't quite the same

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Oldguy, that's kind of what my son did on his first jump. He hit the ramp and while he was in the air he tried to turn. When he hit the ground the wheel was in a full lock left hand turn :eek: He went over the bars and didn't get back on the bike for 2 weeks.

Now he jumps things that I have a hard time rolling over :confused:

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
my first jump actually happened with my brother, and it was within 20 minutes of swinging a led over a "real" dirtbike. it is 11:30 or so in the morning on Christmas morn, and we were excited. of course, my dad told us to stay in the flat area of the riding area, and of course i didnt. i crested a hill, waited for my brother, and chatted a bit on how cool our new bikes were. then i took off in a fully executed first-time-ride, dump- the-clutch-while-revved-so-high-your-teeth-chatter, super-annoying roost that only first-time riders can do simply because they have no idea what they are doing and have no control over the clutch. i got up to 4th gear, and then swerved around a ****, and there stood a bank. being a first-time rider, i did not stop, but kept going. i jumped the bank, and thought i was good. well not when there is a 6-foot mini-grand-canyon thing going on in the hardpack clay under you. and you are at least 6-8 feet above flat ground, add that up and it is 12-14 feet up. i bailed out in midair, faceplanted on an outcropping of hard clay, and sprained my ankle. after laying there, i finally remembered my brother, who was right behind me. (you know how things move so slow when your in trouble or your about to crash? think that times 20 and thats what i felt.) i rolled over, just as my brother catapulted over the edge, and broke his foot. his back tire left a permanent scuff on my right sideplate and also cracked it. due to my "injuries," i couldent ride for 2 weeks. after only 20mins on the bike and crashing so horribly, i was [I/]begging[/I] my mom to ride. i got her to let me ride a week before i was supposed to (per doc's orders) and have been riding ever since!

lata,

-Rob

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I wished I had a remote control kill switch! jr froze on 5hp mini bike way back when. set the riding program back years with momma:<((

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom