My son's kickstarter on his KDX!

RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
I have a question, my son's 98 KDX 220 has a sloppy kickstarter. When you kick it, the kickstarter does not want to return fully to it's position along side motor. When you ride it creeps out and down.

I'm thinking it's the springs in the kickstarter. What do you think ?

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
There is a return spring on that kickstarter that is pretty substantial, its hard to imagine wearing that one out.

There is another spring in there that holds the engagement teeth dogs in, that one does wear, but that would make the kickstarter want to slip out of engagement when you kick it, not keep the kick starter from returning or let it flop down.

I think your problem may related to how that kick starter gear assembly is assembled. That return spring has to be seated in a slot in a little nylon collar, which sits inside the spring, and the spring then anchors into a hole in the case. Its a fussy little setup when you are trying to re-assemble it unless you have three hands, so it's easy for that collar to creep out, or the spring to pop out of the anchor point, etc. Even correctly assembled, my spring somehow got a coil over some other coil wrong, and it would click and bind when I tried to kick it over.

That stater spur gear has it's own fussy little stack of washers also, so you could get those on there wrong. And the manual isn't very clear about which goes were, to straighten out everything my previous owner had done I was sitting there with a print out of the parts pages and a micrometer trying to decipher which of the factor washers where which sizes...

If you have any of those little parts in wrong, the kick starter will bind up when you tighten down that inner clutch cover.

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
KDX--220-1998.gif

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
I figured it out !

Ok, a spent the morning doing some maintenance and discovered a couple of parts missing. The 1/4 inch ball beaing, the spring and the hex head screw that hold em in...

I checked my 03 and this is it !

Now to get the parts !! ;)

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
you can go to a bicycle shop and they will have the bearing maybe even give it to you and get the spring at a hardware store and cut it down with a dremel tool.
thats what i did anyhow till I had to order other parts then I just got the spring and set screw

RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
Fixed

I went to the local hardware store and bought all the parts x2 for a total of $2.10... OEM parts were about $18.00 for just one bike... I opted for the non OEM parts for $2.10 so I got extra parts too.... :)

Top Bottom