Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
August 15, Waco Eagles. This is my home track.
There's been much controversy at the Waco Eagles motorcycle club over the past 2 months. You see, we are a private membership club and perhaps the oldest MC club in America. For those that are interested, Here's a link the Waco Eagles
Our members are both young & old, seasoned and beginners. Most of the MX track is hard pack and about a third of the members don't like change. When time to maintain the track, the usual members started in on the *itching and moaning about not making the track a extreme SX track. Simple solution is to build another track on the property. One section will sandier and more old style while the current track will become more "high flyin'". Any rate, we raced this weekend while track construction is in the midst. Some of the jumps had worn down as much as 2 feet so as a temporary fix, dirt was piled up and we raced. Gotta say the jumps were great. Bad part is if you came up short the dirt was like stacked up marbles, it just rolled around when you landed.

1st heat and I'm lined up on the outside which is totally opposite from my norm. Everyone else was on the inside which is not the norm. I'm on a 125 which is norm and everyone else on a 450, pretty much norm there too.
Gate drops and I pulled a huge jump making the 1st turn in 2nd spot out of 7. The dust was bad and I was determined to charge to the front, same as I did last month there. Bad part is I couldn't see and that's when I had the door shut on me by a 450 on the outside. I managed to catch back up in every corner but when I hit the new jumps, I chickened out. For fear of over jumping I chopped the gas and tried to stay on the ground while the guy in front flew over effortlessly. I caught back up everytime to have it happen again. Even with my attempt to roll the jumps I was bottoming hard on the suspenders. I ended up 3rd just behind 1st & 2nd and pretty far ahead of 4th.

2nd heat was about the same except I slid a bit in the 1st turn, even though I got about the same jump. It took 2 laps for me to get around the guy in front of me but by that time the rest of the bikes in front were quite a ways off. My arms were pumping because of the lose soil but still I charged on. We were doing six laps and I guess we were already on lap five when I was on the back wheel of the next position. Just in front of him was another rider so I'm thinking I must be in about 4th or 5th. Wrong! I was back in 3rd. Bad part is I quit trying and passed my chance to get em both.

Ended up doing the starting gate and MCing the times I wasn't racing. Tigger was the girl holding the starting number so we made the most of it. I had the boys on the gate revving the *iss out of the bikes in anticipation of the start. I taunted them good. It sure was a nice day for racin', even if I did blow out both fork seals. I gotta say that the procircut pipe and silencer on the ktm 125 made a world of difference. Gonna start practicing hard for DW after this Saturday. Don't tell anyone but I have to run sound for Ray Willey Hubbard at a democractic deal here in Waco that night. Wonder if I shoud wear a Bush T-shirt?

Top Bottom