cwb370

Apr 2, 2002
I'm thinking about taking the wife and my son riding there for spring break and was wondering what kinda riding is it. I've read the ride reports that some of y'all have wrote but I still have some questions.
My wife does not like rocks but she only rides the mourning, my son is pretty good all around and I kinda enjoy a challenge every once in awhile.
Is there fire roads the me, My wife and son can enjoy and then in the afternoon me and my son can go ride challenging stuff?
Is there full hook ups for our motor home at the state park?
Where is the nearest hotel or cabins for other friends that go?
I know all y'all have gone there and could probably give me the incite on the place or do I need to rethink and go to broken bow for the first time or go back to Mena, Ark like we did the last 2 years.
Also does anybody have any GPS tracks they can send me so I have a headstart on not getting lost?
Thanks for your help, Chris

2000 YZ426F----Mine
2001 YZ250F----Son's
1997 KX100------Wife's

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
the trail is 98%rock on the east side of the road with a touch of downed trees. not a lot of hill climbs or obstacles of that manner but with the trail being primarily rocks, there is little time to rest. the stuff on the west side of the highway consists of fireroads that are very easy and fun to explore.

the park has hookups but there arent lots of them. i have no idea how crowded it may be then. talahina has at least one hotel.

navigation is sketchy if you dont know where you are going. because the trail is rock, it looks like everything else. there are yellow signs with black lettering that say INT which mark the first few miles and after that you have to look for hatchet marks.

i have a gps track from a ride somewhere. it goes from the park to muse, ok and back. ill dig around and find it.

all i can say is its like colorado. dont go into the woods unprepared. lots of gas, water and time required.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Make sure you carry 16 pounds of pressure in the tires, too, and take along tire repair tools. Flats are common, especially if Harley is riding with you. But you all can ride the west side of the highway in the morning. Ask Eugene, the park ranger, for a nice map to guide you. With that and a GPS or a good odometer, you'll be fine. In the afternoon, you and your son can ride the Indian Nations Trail to the west of the state park. Eugene has some maps of some nice routes there, as well. The trail up past the abandoned buses is cool, with some scenic spots. The INT to Muse is fun, but it's about 35 miles and can take four hours or more, unless you hustle. Or you could just make some nice loops closer to the campground and not get lost. There are some pretty easy trails east of the campground as well, if you just stay off the single-track. It's a nice place to spend a few days.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
These guys have answered all of your questions, so I will only clarify ...

We rode there after two inches of rain the night before and the trails were fine, as the rock didn't absorb too much moisture. The streams were a bit full though.

The hook ups consist of water and power only and there are probably 8~12 hook ups total. I seem to remember that that there is a map of the park on the OK SP web site. They may take reservations.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I think that this would be an amazing dual-sport area. If you had a good map and a mapping GPS, you could ride hundreds of miles of roads and trails every day. There are lots of fire roads and small paved country roads throughout the area. I'm in the process of making my KTM 400SX street legal--already have the e-start, charging stator, and lights installed. Just need a horn and brake lights and I can plate it. I'd love to do a long dual-sport ride up there sometime, from Talihina to Talimena, to Muse, to Mena.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
boy, i forgot about this thread. i have the gps tracks for talihena-muse. if you want them just email me at tx246@yahoo.### and ill email em to you.

Top Bottom